My main application controls various tests in 18 different test cells. From my "Main" vi I call up a test cell, test type, parameters, etc. The test grabs a template vi, loads the parameters and this template copy becomes the display and control of that particular test. To reduce screen clutter users can close the running test front panel but can re-open it if they want to check the status of the test later.

Problem: a couple of the managers want to monitor these tests from their desks. That does not sound like much of a problem except I want the managers to see the status only and not have any of the functionality of the test interface.

What I want: I thought you could call a vi by it's reference and look at it's front panel remotely. No functioning, just display the front panel. But I can't seem to find exactly how to do this without getting into remote front panels which seem like overkill for what I am trying to do.

Suggestions?

My main application controls various tests in 18 different test cells. From my "Main" vi I call up a test cell, test type, parameters, etc. The test grabs a template vi, loads the parameters and this template copy becomes the display and control of that particular test. To reduce screen clutter users can close the running test front panel but can re-open it if they want to check the status of the test later.

Problem: a couple of the managers want to monitor these tests from their desks. That does not sound like much of a problem except I want the managers to see the status only and not have any of the functionality of the test interface.

What I want: I thought you could call a vi by it's reference and look at it's front panel remotely. No functioning, just display the front panel. But I can't seem to find exactly how to do this without getting into remote front panels which seem like overkill for what I am trying to do.

Suggestions?

This is the sort of thing Dispatcher was designed for.

Each cell would have a dispatcher and the manager simply subscribes to the test cell that he wishes to see. You can either just send an image of the FP for a single cell, and/or write a little bit of code to amalgamate the bits they are interested in from multiple cells to make process overviews. Of course it would require the LV run-time on the managers machine.

Edited by ShaunR