New CLD Exam Format?

It seems that NI has changed the format for the CLD exam. They give you a USB stick with some VIs and controls to get you started. Nice time saver!

I (hope not and) highly doubt that they would have made the exam easier, as that would water down the process.

It may be the case the the new CLD exams are harder, or that they want to help streamline the marking protocol by providing these starter VIs etc...?

Does anybody know if the CLA exam format has changed? I saw something in the prep guide about classifying requirements

The CLA Exam Preparation Guide has been updated as evident by the July 2011 footnote.

If you are taking the exam and are unsure on changes I would be contacting certifications (certification@ni.com) for clarification.

I (hope not and) highly doubt that they would have made the exam easier, as that would water down the process.

It may be the case the the new CLD exams are harder, or that they want to help streamline the marking protocol by providing these starter VIs etc...?

The CLA Exam Preparation Guide has been updated as evident by the July 2011 footnote.

If you are taking the exam and are unsure on changes I would be contacting certifications (certification@ni.com) for clarification.

My friend went to a CLD prep session at NI week and I can confirm that they are providing the front panels now with the tests and you save your work to the flash drive.

A bit frustrating to me as I took the "old" version seemingly a few months before the "new/easier" version. Maybe it's an effort to push existing CLDs to quit being lazy and prep for the CLA. *points at myself*

My friend went to a CLD prep session at NI week and I can confirm that they are providing the front panels now with the tests and you save your work to the flash drive.

Did your friend say it was easier? - Given they have something to compare it to of course (previous attempt, sample exam etc...)

A developer should be reasonably fast and so should an architect. But coding speed should not be an overly strong indicator of effectiveness. It can take a reasonably skilled programmer 20 minutes to create a moderately complex front panel. That is a big chunk of the four hours and it does not indicate any insight or skill - the "answer" is right on the exam and you only have to copy it.

I took the old format exam and thought the complexity was very reasonable but I that NI should add an hour to complete it. With the new format four hours is probably perfect. Having to create everything from scratch (even though the answers were given) put too much emphasis on speed. Looking at the four examples the front panels are somewhat similar in complexity. Now NI can create exams with a wider range of front panel complexity without being unfair.