Question regarding documentation tools

I'm digging deep in the dusty corners of my memory for this so I'm probably misunderremembering things, but...

Doesn't OpenG use block diagram comments with special tags to set the vi properties documentation? Are the tools for converting the comments to documentation available somewhere?

Hi Dave

Someone might be able to reply with a better answer who worked on older releases as I was responsible for upgrading the sources to VIPM - I know there was scripts that updated labels with build information (I know as a wrote code to remove these artifacts) but AFAIK the license stuff and documentation was static.

Having said that it would be super easy to script code to find a label (which had e.g. a tag on it) and update the VI Properties Documentation or vice versa.

I know there was scripts that updated labels with build information...

Ahh... that's it. Thanks Jon.

I guess I'll fumble around with scripting once again. As for it being super easy, I suppose once you know how to do it it is, but until then it's mostly just a frustrating expedition of trial and error. (NI hasn't published any sort of object model for the scripting engine have they?)

No probs.

(NI hasn't published any sort of object model for the scripting engine have they?)

Not that I know of - maybe you could script one? ;)

Right clicking a node and trawling through the menus is one of the things I do.

I am no scripting ninja, but if u get stuck on something just post or PM me - like anyone else on this forum - I am happy to help.

Here's how I found all Free Labels on all Block Diagrams below one top-level VI:

post-7534-0-08901500-1326365494.png

Then, I looped through them looking for the tag I was interested in:

post-7534-0-65424900-1326365555.png

Be careful while scripting, not because of the "rusty nails" but more because it could be more fun than what you're supposed to be working on...

A hairy yak is a happy yak ~ unknown, circa 2000 BC

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Ton. I'm definitely going to spend a bit of time looking over those.

I think 2009 was the latest version I've tried scripting with. The traverse vi shown in Jim's post wasn't available as far as I know, but boy it sure makes scripting easier. I still have to create a scratch vi to figure out the name of the object I'm looking for, but the whole process is much easier than it used to be. Now I just need to spend some time figuring out the available documentation tools and seeing if I can simplify my process.

Thanks for the link Ton. I'm definitely going to spend a bit of time looking over those.

I think 2009 was the latest version I've tried scripting with. The traverse vi shown in Jim's post wasn't available as far as I know, but boy it sure makes scripting easier. I still have to create a scratch vi to figure out the name of the object I'm looking for, but the whole process is much easier than it used to be. Now I just need to spend some time figuring out the available documentation tools and seeing if I can simplify my process.

It is available in 2009. It just isn't in any of the palettes (it's in vi.lib/utility/traverseref.llb).

• Like 2