USB port switch matrix?

John Lokanis

Here is a strange request but I am casting a wide net to see if anyone has seen a solution to this.

I need a device that can route a USB dongle to a DUT's USB port. I need to be able to simulate the insertion and removal of the USB dongle without physical access to the dongle. I need this to be controlled via Ethernet.

Ideally, this product would allow me to insert a single USB dongle and route it to multiple DUTs simultaneously. If that is not possible, I could insert multiple dongles and route them 1 to 1.

So, why do we need this?

Well, our product is designed to boot off a USB dongle and get us a basic OS that we can then use to load a full test OS from a network server. But, once we install the network OS, we want to reboot and not see the dongle anymore. Right now we need someone to physically pull the dongle from the DUT. We would like to automate this process.

thanks for any ideas, thoughts or sympathy...

-John

• Like 1

In the simplest of solutions, you could use a matrix switch to route your four USB lines to each DUT. NI has some Ethernet-based hardware that you could use to pull this off, I think.

We have had to do USB switching before, and used the J-Works SSB118. However, it doesn't fulfill your Ethernet requirement.

As for 1-to-all versus 1-to-1, I don't think the former would work because each host (your DUT) expects that only one host will be on the bus - there would probably be a mess of collisions if you plug x DUTs into one dongle.

• Like 1

Beware that breaking out a USB cable through a set of relays and having it work on the other side is likely to be non-trivial, especially if you're talking USB 2.0+. I've personally had a difficult time just trying to splice a USB cable before even when taking care to only leave ~2" unshielded (shield was bridged over, but didn't completely enclose the spliced area). If I recall, this was for an external hard drive with "A" connectors on both sides and the computer would recognize the device but couldn't transfer data. From a few internet forum posts, several people have done some pretty hacktastic cable splicing jobs on things like mice and tablets that worked just fine so it might just be a data rate thing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Benoit
      Manufacturing a satellite or a simple pen require to test the quality of the product before delivery to the customer.
      LabVIEW is widely used for that purpose. Since 20 years of LabVIEW development I saw numerous test framework. I was wondering if people where interested to work in a collective and open source test framework.
      Per example the following feature can be included:
      HAL (hardware abstraction layer)
      Database to record test results with the data viewer (PostgreSQL)
      single/asynchronous/batch/debug mode
      multi-language support
      Image analysis (open CV) + bar code reader
      User access level
      Remote monitoring
      Jig identification to prevent user error (testing the wrong product with the wrong jig/test sequence)
      HTML/xml/txt report
      and so on....
      Benoit
    • By Audi Dec
      Senior Engineer Cupertino, CA 95014 1 year and extendable   Domain: Consumer Electronics Must have : Python, C/C++ (preferably Python), LabView   • Work closely with the design team to analyze the requirements and help with defining the test criteria • Work with the team to develop the automated functional and regression tests using apple’s testing framework.  • Actively participate in code reviews conducted by the developers • Evaluate existing testing methodologies and suggest new techniques that will help us deliver high-quality features faster. • Improve, maintain, and execute automated functional, regression, testing codebase • Maintain a solid understanding of Test workflows, automation best practices, and agile methodologies         • Maintain proficiency in application and use of systems, tools, and processes within the Technology department.         • Take a lead role in QA Roadmap initiatives Basic Qualifications:            • BS/MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, electrical engineering or similar technical field         • 3+ years of experience as a Software Development, Test Automation.         • Experience in embedded hardware, software test automation.           • Demonstrated experience in test framework design and development         • Excellent communication, collaboration, reporting, analytical and problem-solving skills         • Proficient with Agile testing methodologies and best practices Mandatory Skills: • Strong programming skills with Python, C/C++ (preferably Python), LabView  Expert   • Excellent fundamental knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design    • Experience with embedded system hardware/software test automation.     • Experience with Functional, factory line, diagnostic, reliability testing    • Experience defining test plans and designing/developing the automation.    • Experience with Linux, real time operating systems (bonus)  • Passion for testing and quality engineering  • Experience with bash scripting    Reach me at chaitu@fraank.com for more information 
    • By Gary Armstrong
      LV2016 64-bit
      I have inherited a LabVIEW Interface that talks thru a USB2 Interface to a micro-Controller at 921,600 baud.
      This opens a new world of possibilities as USB2 can handle data at much higher rates than a typical RS232 interface.
      I have been tasked with rewriting the LabVIEW code as it is difficult to maintain.  I have an application that will talk to the uC at 230 kbaud but can't attain the 921,600 baud. I have tried copying the pertinent VIs from the supplied code into my app but still can not attain 921,600 baud. Plus I don't have a serial line analyzer capable of handling USB2, so I can only trial and error with the uC. Is there a setting I have to do in LabVIEW to allow serial communications at the higher rates? At the moment, I am trying to get the Find Controllr VI to work. I have included the support VIs for the Find Controllr.vi. The Find Controllr VI attempts to find the correct port and baud rate and then obviously communicate with the uC.
      Find Controllr.vi
      Packet TR.vi
      Get Available Ports.vi
      Serial Data.vi
      Check For Packet.vi
      Open Port.vi
      Create Packet.vi
      Extract Packet ID.vi
      PTI CRC.vi
    • By Dawid
      Hello everyone,

I have a small problem with SPI communication. I'm using NI USB 8452 module and LabView 2013 with driver NI USB 845x 14.0. As a first step I ran the example from attached library called "Atmel AT25080A Write.vi". The problem manifests as logic "0" all the time on MOSI and MISO lines. No Data transferred. CS and CLK works properly. I never use pull ups when using SPI but maybe I should? The question is did anybody meet the same problem while using this usb 8452 module? All 4 SPI lines connected directly to oscilloscope. Waiting for any reply. Thanks in advance.

• By ThomasGutzler
      Hi,

I have several USB instruments (Agilent/Keysight optical power meters) which I can talk to via USB.
      To minimise the time "wasted" by transferring data between the instruments and the PC I would like to query them in parallel. Unfortunately, LabVIEW doesn't agree with that strategy and reliably crashes when doing so. It doesn't matter which command I send, so here's a sample snippet, where I just query the instrument ID repeatedly. I don't even have to read the answer back (doing so won't make a difference):

This will kill LabVIEW 2012 and 2014, both 64bit without even popping up the "We apologize for the inconvenience" crash reporter dialog.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
      I've seen LabVIEW crash while communicating over RS232 (VISA) but it's much harder to reproduce.
        Is it outrageous to assume that communication to separate instruments via different VISA references should work in parallel?
      All my instrument drivers are separate objects. I can ensure that communication to a single type of instrument is done in series by making the vi that does the communication non-reentrant. But I have to communicate with multiple instruments of different types, most of which use some flavour of VISA (RS232, USB, GPIB).

Am I just lucky that I haven't had more crashes when I'm talking to a lot of instruments?
      Could it be a bug specific to the USB part of VISA? I've only recently changed from GPIB to USB on those power meters to get faster data transfer rates. In the past everything went via GPIB, which isn't a parallel communication protocol anyway afaik.

Tom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.