Accelerating double -> decimal string: solving problems you didn't know you had

I can see this solving a lot of annoyances we were having with the AQ Character Lineator.. Specifically the large amount of space constantly taken up by Doubles when just a few numbers would suffice. I look forward to hearing more about this integration and I have a feeling this can apply to a lot more situations than just ours.

Even in a CLFN the code is slower than the built-in primitive so I would not even bother a G implementation unless you are curious about the integer math.  In C++ code I use it all of the time, it rocks.  I do not care about the speed as much as a nice way to autoformat floating point numbers (it will do SGL as well). 

It's not a complete replacement, though, is it? I think this algo can fail with certain numbers so you'd have to fall-back to the printf and incur the overhead of running two in series. Maybe those numbers cropping up are statistically insignificant though.

Edited by ShaunR

There is a reason that the return value from the double to ascii function is a boolean.  I dropped it into a while loop and get a success rate of 99.6-99.7% for random samples over different ranges.

Running something which is roughly twice as fast 99.6% of the time and something which is 1.5 times slower (both in series) 0.4% of the time is still a net win.  That is of course in C++, in LV the CLFN implementation of the fast method is roughly 1.5x slower than the primitive implementation of the slow method.

I have not used this for speed, I use it to get the smallest representation.  I have written custom graph and table views in C++ and needed to do the float to string conversion.

• Like 1