LabVIEW Benchmarking

I am thinking of putting together a benchmarking application that can be used to roughly gauge a PC/target's performance. Kind of like a FutureMark 3DMark but for LabVIEW code.

Has anybody done anything like this? I know we all do lots of informal benchmarking of code to test performance of different algorithms, I am suggesting pick certain algorithms and then benchmark against different hardware/OS etc.

Does anybody have any recommendations for test suites to run? I was thinking things like encryption algorithms, linear algebra, large FFTs etc, mass compile etc 

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

I am thinking of putting together a benchmarking application that can be used to roughly gauge a PC/target's performance. Kind of like a FutureMark 3DMark but for LabVIEW code.

Has anybody done anything like this? I know we all do lots of informal benchmarking of code to test performance of different algorithms, I am suggesting pick certain algorithms and then benchmark against different hardware/OS etc.

Does anybody have any recommendations for test suites to run? I was thinking things like encryption algorithms, linear algebra, large FFTs etc, mass compile etc 

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

I like this idea.

Encryption is demonstrably faster on 64 bit machines than 32. SQLite performance is very disk dependent. There was a benchmark from NI to demonstrate VI call overhead to compare inline, re-entrant and normal which is extremely insightful (not sure where I saw it). There;s the disk performance comparison tests from NI used for benchmarking our SSDs.

You've already mentioned Fourier. Sort algorithms are good for assessing computation capability. There used to be an issue with 64 bit labview when allocating memory so something to assess array performance could be used as a proxy for memory efficiency. During investigating the Ring buffer we bench-marked queues and while loops and stuff.

Has to be lots around here for you to pull out and formalise into a test suite.