Any Seed Key Toolkits?

So at an NI Week presentation this year, NI talked about how their new cRIOs with RT linux can have some kind of seed key encryption on them for some level of protection.  What this basically means is you have a public key, that can be used to encrypt data, then you can send that data, and using a private key, decrypt the data into the original payload.

I thought that was a neat idea and something that I haven't personally needed but got curious to see if a toolkit existed that uses this technology.  Especially if the payload can really just be a stream of bytes, which can represent any data type.

I believe the RT Linux systems are using GnuPG, and I found a Windows install, and command line documentation.

Has anyone done this before?  Anyone done it in LabVIEW?

So at an NI Week presentation this year, NI talked about how their new cRIOs with RT linux can have some kind of seed key encryption on them for some level of protection.  What this basically means is you have a public key, that can be used to encrypt data, then you can send that data, and using a private key, decrypt the data into the original payload.

I thought that was a neat idea and something that I haven't personally needed but got curious to see if a toolkit existed that uses this technology.  Especially if the payload can really just be a stream of bytes, which can represent any data type.

I believe the RT Linux systems are using GnuPG, and I found a Windows install, and command line documentation.

Has anyone done this before?  Anyone done it in LabVIEW?

Well. I don't know anything about RT Linux itself or should I say, I don't have one, but I expect it has SSH which pretty much all Unix-like systems have. It will use public key encryption for the SSH sessions..

If it has the NI webserver then that too would be using public key encryption for SSL

If they are talking about special NI technology where you give a TCPIP primitive a certificate (like the HTTP API)  then it will use SSL or some propriety protocol then that is interesting. If they have integrated it transparently into network streams that would be fantastic. If its just that it it gains a new ability because its on Linux rather than VxWorks or Windows. Then that is not very interesting to me.

You'd have to be more specific though.

For most public key encryption, signatures and certificates; the Encryption Compendium for LabVIEW has it covered.

If you want to play around with PGP, encryption then I highly recommend  GPG4Win as the tool of choice. Don't give me any of your command line rubbish :rolleyes: . Get ye over to Linux, heathen :lol:

Edited by ShaunR
  • Like 1

If its just that it it gains a new ability because its on Linux rather than VxWorks or Windows. Then that is not very interesting to me.

I believe this is exactly what it is.  Thanks for the link to the encryption compendium, I'll check it out.

If you want to play around with PGP, encryption then I highly recommend  GPG4Win as the tool of choice. Don't give me any of your command line rubbish  :rolleyes: . Get ye over to Linux, heathen  :lol:

The corporate world I live in does not consider Linux a viable option for anything.  I will be sticking with Windows.