How to choose industrial PC

ASalcedo

Hello to all.

I have developed an application and it runs fine in my laptop (intel i5)

Now I would like to deploy an executable in a industrial PC.

How can I choose the specifications? I have tried with atom dual core and it works bad and slow.

One more thing, what windows is it better to run labview applications? Windows 7 professional or Windows 10?

Thanks.

Laptops and industrial PCs are all computers. Atom processors are low-end processors. I expect you have something much faster in your laptop and likely a lot more memory. You're best bet is to use your laptop specs as the requirements for an industrial PC. To give you a better answer we'd have to know what your application is, your program architecture, performance requirements...

There isn't a better for operating system (unless you're talking something like Windows Me and Vista, but those were just bad in general). There will be differences, but not better. Windows 7 has hit end of support (see Windows Lifecycle sheet) and end of sales (see article). Win7 will be available on industrial computers for some time, but not long term. If you are looking at something that needs to have components available for a decade, I'd go Win10.

• Like 1

It does really depend on your software needs, but generally any new industrial rack mounted PC is going to be an I3 or better.  I'd pretty much avoid Atoms at this point unless you really know your needs are small and dedicated.  I've been using the atom based RT controllers running Linux and this seems fine most of the time but I wouldn't mind more performance.  The cost difference between a dual core atom, and a quad core I5 or so isn't that great.  We generally spend $1500 to $2000 US on a rack mount industrial PC and it has more than enough horse power for what we need.  As for OS we still stick with 7.  I think 10 is fine, and we'll probably start moving to it for new projects.  We just couldn't see using 8, especially before the 8.1 update.

• Like 1