CAN Communication in LABVIEW

You should find the CAN palette under Measurement I/O.

That said, NI CAN is only for legacy CAN hardware. For newer hardware, NI XNET is the way to go: NI-XNET CAN, LIN, and FlexRay Platform Overview - NI

Edit: Forgot to mention NI Example Finder, which includes several examples on how to use the API (via Help > Find Examples).

Edited by LogMAN
  • Like 1

As My Labview version is 2017, I have installed NI-CAN 17.0. NI-XNET is for higher version I think so. I checked NI Example finder also, but there is no CAN example available. What can be the problem ? suggestion please. 

One more thing, I checked the installation path and I found there is no .lib File (Library palette) present. Is it the problem for all? if so please provide me correct download link or so. (though I always download from NI website)

NI-XNet is newer then NI-CAN.  I believe its first release supported LabVIEW 2010 or so.  It really is a superior API with much more flexible features.  I cover some of the differences in NI-CAN and NI-XNet in Part 3 of my CAN blog.  Part 6 goes into XNet in more detail.  Newer CAN hardware support either API, but some old stuff does need to use NI-CAN.

One thing you didn't mention was if you installed NI-CAN 17 after installing LabVIEW or not.  During the install it will detect versions of LabVIEW installed and add support for it.  So if you install NI-CAN then LabVIEW, you won't see the supporting palettes.  You can just run the NI-CAN installer again and it will add any missing components.  This will add Example Finder examples from the Help >> Find Examples menu, and add the NI-CAN palette, I believe it goes under the Measurement I/O on the functions palette, but I don't have it installed at the moment.

yes, I have installed LABVIEW 2017 before NI-CAN 17.0. I run quite a few times the CAN file to check if everything fine or not. but I do not find CAN palette or even examples under Find examples. Another point is there is no lib file present in NI-CAN installer.  What should I do now? What would be a solution.

5 hours ago, dipanwita said:

yes, I have installed LABVIEW 2017 before NI-CAN 17.0. I run quite a few times the CAN file to check if everything fine or not. but I do not find CAN palette or even examples under Find examples. Another point is there is no lib file present in NI-CAN installer.  What should I do now? What would be a solution.

Other's have repeatedly answered your question that you need to look into ni-xnet.

So let me ask you another way,  what is your CAN hardware?  Is it from NI or another part?   Please list their model and identification so we can make sure you're using the right drivers