Has anyone worked with IAI Robocylinders and LV?

pallen

Season's Greetings LabView peoples,

I'm just curious if anyone else has worked with these Robocylinders from IAI.

http://www.robocylinder.com/products/actuators/default.asp

We've just started using them ourselves, and I'm still in the "figuring things out" stage.

They can be controlled both digitally and serially. I've already got digital controls working. But for my particular application I need both digital and serial.

Quickly trying the examples in the manual using the Basic Serial LV example resulted in no response from the controller at all. I ran a sniffer to see what the proprietary control program was sending back and forth to the controller and it didn't look much like what printed in the manual.

I've still got a lot of reading to do. But I was just curious if anyone had already worked with them.

I noticed a lot of broken links as well. This link (http://www.intelligentactuator.com/) appears to be for the same company. But has fewer broken links.

After a call to their Chicago office, I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't sending the control codes (STX and ETX) correctly. I ended up having to look up how to do this in LabView.

At least I'm able to send a simple status request now. But it looks like I've got a whole lot of reading to do before I'll be close to what we want to do with them.

• 10 months later...
There are a lot of broken links on their site, I could not get to the Serial Communication White Papers.

Have you tried Hyperterminal first? Proper serial cabling? Correct termination character used in LV?

THese cyclinder are really easy to deal with ONCE you figure a few things out , do you have the ROBO Cylinder Serial Communications Protocol document ?? if not i can scan it and send it to you....

Dan

THese cyclinder are really easy to deal with ONCE you figure a few things out , do you have the ROBO Cylinder Serial Communications Protocol document ?? if not i can scan it and send it to you....

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the amazingly prompt response.

Finally found the documment. (Their site is difficult to navigate.) I'm trying:

7) Position Inquiry

To poll the current position of a system addressed as #0 that has been homed to

the motor end and has a 12mm lead, send the following string:

Chr$(02) + 0R40000740008F + Chr$(03)

I'm sending this using the Basic Serial Write and Read at

38400,8,N,1, FlowControl=None, and a 1 sec delay before read. I've tried FlowControl=RTS/CTS. I've tried \n and \r\n.

Any suggestions?

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the amazingly prompt response.

Finally found the documment. (Their site is difficult to navigate.) I'm trying:

7) Position Inquiry

To poll the current position of a system addressed as #0 that has been homed to

the motor end and has a 12mm lead, send the following string:

Chr$(02) + 0R40000740008F + Chr$(03)

I'm sending this using the Basic Serial Write and Read at

38400,8,N,1, FlowControl=None, and a 1 sec delay before read. I've tried FlowControl=RTS/CTS. I've tried \n and \r\n.

Any suggestions?

What version of LV are you using ?? i will send you what i threw together to talk to these things....

Dan

Hi Dan,

LV 8.2. An example would be lovely.

Thanks much, Denise

Ok here is everything i have to work with the ROBO's , you will need to change some of the defaults since you have a different lead length. the first 3 things you need to do is INIT, POWER ON, HOME after that you can do whatever you need. these VI's still need some work , but, they got me through what i needed , i actually want to try to re-write them using LabVOOP. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

good luck

Dan

Ok here is everything i have to work with the ROBO's , you will need to change some of the defaults since you have a different lead length. the first 3 things you need to do is INIT, POWER ON, HOME after that you can do whatever you need. these VI's still need some work , but, they got me through what i needed , i actually want to try to re-write them using LabVOOP. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

good luck

Dan

Here are the the protocol manuals that i have in case you or anyone else needs them ....

Download File:post-114-1161698154.zip

Download File:post-114-1161698529.zip

good luck

Dan

Here are the the protocol manuals that i have in case you or anyone else needs them ....

Hi Dan,

Popping up "ROBO init" brings up a Robo operation.ctl that is not found (in ROBO Cylinder (VISA) folder). Any chance you have that handy?

Thanks, Denise

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

QUOTE(water @ Dec 23 2007, 11:39 PM)

Hi Dan,

I use the system as below,

1. PSEL Controller: PSEL-C-2-56PI-NP-20PI-NP-2-0

2. Actuator: RCP2-SS8C-I-56P-5-100-P1-M-B

3. Actuator: RCP22-RA2C-1-20P-1-25-P1-S

I tried to use your code, it cannot power on as the attached code, please sugget me.

Thank you very much for your help.

well first off make sure he serial port is configured properly... make sure you can connect using their PC interface software , i have only used it with the RCP2 controller , but , usually the problem is a comm problem or the Unit Number is set wrong...

Dan

• 1 year later...

Hi,

currently i work with a RCP2 axis from IAI. To controll it i use the PCON-SE controller. It is possible to communicate with this controller in ascii and rtu over the serial com port. The communication with the IAI Software is works fine. Now i try to write a programm with LabVIEW to communicate with the controller. It is a modbus Port so i tried the Modbus libraries from the offiziell NI.com site. There i also finde the Link to this thread. I tested to communicate with it with the ROBO.vi but it doesen´t work. I currently under time pressure with this projekt. It would be nice if you could help me to get a simple communication to make the first step and move the axis. The offcut go without saying. At least i hope so. Befor i forget to say its an projekt in the apprenticeship.

I hope you can help me.

regards DoubleU

Here is the Datasheet of the PCON controller. Perhaps I can communicate over the Modbus libraries from the Ni.com site. But how can i send the correct command to the correct address. In the Modbus libraries it is possible to send a Modbus command to the Device but i must be a cluster of more comments and I can´t finde the option to send the command as it is required in the Datasheet.

regards DoubleU