Howto change modification bitset of VI?

I am doing an operation on a VI using VI server. I would like to change the VI's modification bitset to show as changed, so that that user is prompted to save the VI when it is unloaded from memory (and also the VI Name in the window title should have an "*" to indicate that it has been modified). I have experimented with "Begin Undo Transaction" and "End Undo Transaction" and calling these is not enough to cause a "modification".

Anyone know a good way to do this?

Thanks,

I am doing an operation on a VI using VI server. I would like to change the VI's modification bitset to show as changed, so that that user is prompted to save the VI when it is unloaded from memory (and also the VI Name in the window title should have an "*" to indicate that it has been modified). I have experimented with "Begin Undo Transaction" and "End Undo Transaction" and calling these is not enough to cause a "modification".

Thanks,

When you open the VI reference, do you set the option mask 0x01? From the Help:

0x01 Record modifications. An asterisk (*) appears by the VI title to indicate that changes have been made using VI Server. The VI must be in edit mode for LabVIEW to record the modifications.

If the change you made is still not enough, you could simply rewrite the VI Description property or something like that.

0x01 Record modifications. An asterisk (*) appears by the VI title to indicate that changes have been made using VI Server. The VI must be in edit mode for LabVIEW to record the modifications.

If the change you made is still not enough, you could simply rewrite the VI Description property or something like that.

That does the trick! Thanks :)

Thanks,

I usually do this by toggling the debugging flag twice. Snooped it from some LabVIEW internal functions some versions ago.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 6 months later...

Anybody know how to unset the modification bitset. I have a vi that traverses a vi's heirachy and saves each vi for the previous version of LV. In this case I am reverting to 7.1 from 8.0.1 due to a serious bug found when using TestStand 3.5 and LabVIEW 8.0 RunTimeEngine. My vi runs fine but when I first open the newly reverted vi's using LV 7.1 the asterix is displayed and the vi thinks it's modified. I could just mass compile using 7.1 but I'm curious how to do it at the same time as the vi is reverted.

Thanks

Chris

Anybody know how to unset the modification bitset. I have a vi that traverses a vi's heirachy and saves each vi for the previous version of LV. In this case I am reverting to 7.1 from 8.0.1 due to a serious bug found when using TestStand 3.5 and LabVIEW 8.0 RunTimeEngine. My vi runs fine but when I first open the newly reverted vi's using LV 7.1 the asterix is displayed and the vi thinks it's modified. I could just mass compile using 7.1 but I'm curious how to do it at the same time as the vi is reverted.

Thanks

Chris

Ok I now understand why it's doing this. Baiscally the diagram is created for the previous version but not re-compiled for the previous version.

D'oh !

Did you see the ultimate LabVIEW Geek questions for this week (6)

If you save a VI to a previous version, and then open the saved VI in that previous version, why does LabVIEW add an * next to the VI name, indicating that there are unsaved changes? (Correct answer worth: 30 points)

The new version removes the block diagram and the compiled code so the old version can rebuild it from the machine code only

The new version compiles the old version, but it can't actually save the block diagram in the correct form for the old version

The new version can write the block diagram in the correct form for the old version, but it can't actually compile the old version

Prove your geekiness NOW! :laugh:

Did you see the ultimate LabVIEW Geek questions for this week (6)

If you save a VI to a previous version, and then open the saved VI in that previous version, why does LabVIEW add an * next to the VI name, indicating that there are unsaved changes? (Correct answer worth: 30 points)

The new version removes the block diagram and the compiled code so the old version can rebuild it from the machine code only

Wow LabVIEW contains actually a reverse compiler :D . Now everyone that saves his VIs with password or no diagram at all is simply buggered ;-)

The new version compiles the old version, but it can't actually save the block diagram in the correct form for the old version

Hmm, not sure how that differs from the first really. Still needs a reverse compiler and I just so much like this new extraSuperSecretTool.

The new version can write the block diagram in the correct form for the old version, but it can't actually compile the old version

Naaa! This last one is to simple. It can't possibly be this! ;-)

Rolf Kalbermatter