Why is NI Week in August?

gleichman

Because the Austin Convention Center is (probably) cheeper in August. The weather is very hot -- it can get up to 110 degF! And, it is easier for people to take a week off of work during the summer.

The rate card for the convention center makes no mention for seasonal discounts. It looks expensive all year around, but I'm not in the convention business.

ACC Facility Rental Information

I agree that it is easier for some (academics, students, Europeans) to get time off during the summer, but most engineering activities are not seasonal.

Going to Texas in August for a convention is as crazy as having the Super Bowl here in Detroit in January!

Alan

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (LV_FPGA_SE @ Jul 28 2008, 10:33 AM)

This morning on the radio I heard that Austin will have its 36th day in triple digits (>= 100 degrees) for the year. Normally we have about 10 or so. Last year we had none. It's shapping up to be a hot NIWeek. :beer: :thumbup:

It wouldn't be NI-Week if it wasn't over 100 outside and below 40 in the convention center :D