Getting the fundamental frequency out of a signal

knex78

Hi

I wonder if any one have any idea how I can get the fundamental frequency out of a signal I get from the soundcard input on my computer. The signal can be a instrument. I get a signal with the help of the functions SI read, SI configure av SI start. The signal is a 8 bit mono signal with 8000kb/s sample rate, and I use a buffer of 8000kb.Hope anyone can help

Knex

Hi agian

When I use tone measurement I and play a low E on my guitar I it says it a frequensy of 0,0158 and with the high e string i get o,o426.Is it anyone that can tell me reason for this? Is the numbers right, and I just have to convert them to frequency?Or is it anything with the porgram or computer?anyone have any idea?

Knex

Hi agian

When I use tone measurement I and play a low E on my guitar I it says it a frequensy of 0,0158 and with the high E string i get o,o426.Is it anyone that can tell me reason for this? Is the numbers right, and I just have to convert them to frequency?Or is it anything with the porgram or computer?anyone have any idea?

Knex

Knex,

I'm not sure how to interpret your results exactly. You seem to be using the "," to indicate the decimal place, and if so you seem to have readings which appear to be in the range of a few hundeths of a hertz. That is clearly not correct.

If your "," is not the decimal palce and you outputs are really 158 Hz and 426 Hz, I would say that is almost believable, but seems to indicate that the two E strings are horribly out of tune. Those two E strings should be two octives apart which means that the "high" E should be 4 times the frequency of the "low" E, but if and only if they are well tuned.

It is possible that the way you have provided the data to the tone analysis vi doesn't properly inform the vi as to what sample rate you are using. If so, it will not be able to give you accurate results.

Could you post your code?

-Pete Liiva

Hi agian

When I use tone measurement I and play a low E on my guitar I it says it a frequensy of 0,0158 and with the high e string i get o,o426.Is it anyone that can tell me reason for this? Is the numbers right, and I just have to convert them to frequency?Or is it anything with the porgram or computer?anyone have any idea?

Knex

Here is a quote from Wikipedia about what the frequencies should be:

Quote:

A variety of different tunings is used. The most common by far, known as "standard tuning" (EADGBE), is as follows:

* sixth (lowest tone) string: E (a minor thirteenth below middle C

It depends on how you define "more popular"

Dang! I knew someone would be able to find the stats - I'm kinda embarrassed that I didn't check Wikipedia first myself :)

To cover my own arse :D I think I'll with peteski on this one an say that it's more popular on a capita basis...

So you are using the same sign as the poeple in china..hmm. GO point, hammer and sickle!

Anyway I have solved my problems by just multiply with a constat 16000 (thats 2x8000) and it probely has something to do with the dagital sampling.

Now I'm sitting here laughting of you funny people discussing "." and "," . Theres nothing to argue about, its just the way the world are twisted togheter.

What about inches, feets, pounds, kilograms, meters, liters and gallonds..what do they use in china?

Thanks for the help , btw.

...lift in Newtons, altitude in feet, rate of descent in feet/min, take-off and landing distances in metres and use density in SLUGS!

I've been able to muddle my way through the imperial system here in the US, but when colleagues start talking in multiple units then I throw my hands in the air and say "you work it out". I had one ask me to consider a physical phenomena in something like inches per pounds per degrees F - I've got no chance! :blink: