"could not determine data types" for TypeDef Error cluster to Error Case

thols

Just updated from LV6.1 to 8.0.1. I get the error "could not determine data types of all wires in this VI" for some of my VIs I am converting to LV8. The error is not highlighted, the front panel of the VI is just activated. However, I tracked the error to an error cluster that is type defined (for some reason) and connected to an Error Case. It seems LV6.1 accepts type-defined error clusters being connected to an Error-case, but not LV8. That is OK for me, I dont need the error-cluster to be type defined. But why does LV change from a case structure to an Error-case structure then, and why doesn't LV find the error and highlights it for me? I will solve this by disconnecting my error clusters from type-defines.

I haven't studied the upgrade notes thoroughly, but the behaviour by LV seems odd.

Reproduce like this:

Make an error cluster type-defined. Create a case-structure. Connect the type-define to the case structure.

Check the attached zip-file for VI and picture.

Download File:post-2740-1152103309.zip

post-2740-1152103392.jpg?width=400

If you change the constant to a control does the problem go away?

No, the problem does not go away by changing to a control.

This problem does not exist in LV 5.1.1 and 6.1 (The code I found this problem in was originally made in 5.1.1 and later recompiled in 6.1).

No, the problem does not go away by changing to a control.
I was refering specifically to this (constant vs. control) as being an LV 7.0 only problem. It probably had something to do with a change to the way LV did constant folding between 6.1 and 7.0. As you can see, this seems unrelated.
  • 1 month later...

I received the same error today (8.0.1).

My vis have been in a project (including an lvlib). An associate of mine attended Crystal Drumheller's "Demystifying the LabVIEW Project" session at NIWeek 06, and she suggested that a project should only be created after the VIs are 'mature'.

I'm still prototyping, and the rest of my group has not started using projects yet, so I decided to work on the VIs outside the project environment (didn't want to create 'issues' later)

I opened the project, removed all the VIs, controls, etc. from the project; leaving only the project name and the lvlib. I saved the project and exited. All is well... I then opened the higher level VIs and saw the "could not determine data types" error. I searched the LAVA forum and found the exact error AND the solution here :P (recompile).

I stopped, put on my LAVA button :wub: , and proceeded...

My problem was that ALL my typdef'd enum constants on the block diagram reverted to the first value :o . Also, all the typdef'd enum constants used as inputs to my sub-vis reverted to the default as well. It took me some time to check every one of these.

I THINK I dragged and dropped the typdefs from the project window to the block diagram, and also copied these on the diagram, but I'm not sure. I only post this in case someone else is considering "un-project-ifying" :blink: your code.