Quotient and Remainder

swoopstar

I have been trying to interpret this labview vi but i cant seem to be able to find a simple explanation of what the "Quotient and Remainder" function does. Basically the program mimics a electrical muscle stimulation machine where you are able to input the time on and off, choose the intensity and show the output of a 2500Hz sine wave.

Everything else i can pretty much nut out but have no clue about this "Quotient and Remainder" function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-6175-1158383088.jpg?width=400

post-6175-1158383114.jpg?width=400

This function is generally used (as it is in your example) to be a counter reset. If you feed an index into X and a reset value into Y then the output R will count up with the index until it reaches Y then it will reset and start counting from 0 again. The output Q will give you how many times this has happened.

Example:

Save data every 200 loop iterations.

X=i (loop index)

Y=200

IF R=0 THEN save data

Everything else i can pretty much nut out but have no clue about this "Quotient and Remainder" function.

Think back to elementary school when you first did division, before you knew about decimals.

What is 7 divided by 2 ?

Answer: 3 remainder 1.

The 3 is the quotient. 1 is the remainder.

This is also known as modular division or integer division.

If you want one that really makes you want to claw your eyes out, take a look at the output terminal of the Type Cast node...

*(type *)&x

Changing these names once they're established is non trivial. Unless they're really factually wrong, such changes tends to be lower priority than all the other stuff that needs working on in LV.

Classic example of some nerd at NI using a $20 word when a $.10 word would have worked a lot better. :)

:) Interesting - especially since the primitivie itself is called "Quotient and Remainder". That said, it gooes along with the other models they have - eg: the "Add" primitave has an output of "x+y", so it looks like the output is represented as the formulae that arrived at it (I'd prefer NI didn't change the add primitive output to say "add"). Maybe the Q&R outputs could have their equations and then the word in brackets after it?

Add is when there are two terms, sum is when there are more than two.

Though sum is used as the output of the Add Array Elements block, it does technically refer to any result from addition.

Going the technical route could provide us some gems of names for the inputs of the Add function: augend for the first input and addend for the second. :laugh:

David

:blink: My brain hurts...

:D Haven't seen that one in a while.

</br></br><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQgF0pRkjMc"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQgF0pRkjMc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQgF0pRkjMc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>