LabVIEW Documentation

QUOTE(kaarthik_kaarthik @ Feb 19 2007, 02:40 AM)

Hi all!!!

I have a doubt in commenting the VI's according to the standards of National Instruments.Where am i supposed to put the Functionality Comment for any VI?, either in the block diagram or in the front pannel?

Thanks & regards,

Karthikeyan

The "VI Description" is a good place for this: File>>VI Properties>>Documentation>>VI Description

Hi

If you want to do this in a good way you should insert a generic description in VI Properities >> Documentation.

If you want to clarify your algorithm you could also write some description in Data Diagram, to make sure that everyone understand you intention.

Of course you need to do an Icon and some description for inputs and outputs to your VI.

bogdani

Using File>>VI Properties>>Description is a good idea since the text entered here shows up in the Context Help window when people are using your VI as a subVI or browsing the palettes. That description is intended for VIs that will be used as subVIs for other programs.

If you want to document how to use your VI for an end user, then there are several options. The obvious is putting comments directly on the front panel. You could also fill in the Help Path (again in File>>VI Properties>>Description) to point to any HTML file. If you do that, then the menu item Help>>Help for this VI will be ungrayed. Clicking on it will launch the HTML file in a browser. Also, if you popup on individual controls, you can set the description for that single control. This text will appear in the Context Help window (when the CH is open) when the mouse is over the given control.

Hello Karthikeyan

I would also make a good Vi description as mentioned above. But I would recommend you to use a tool like the Vi, Vit, Ctl Icon and Description Editor

With this or a similar tool or you are much faster to make the description and the Vi ICON (which is also an important part of the documentation).

Further you should also make some comments on the blockdiagramm.