In the Same Window ... How?

Hello All ,

I have just created a LabVIEW programe to open VI files from a main one when pressing

a button , but the problem is that the new VIs panels are opened in new windows

How can i open the desired VI in the same window of the main one ???

Besides , How i can make the opened VIs to run just after being called from the main panel

Please , i wainting for your help !!

thanx a lot

Yours

QUOTE(ControlEngineer @ Mar 15 2007, 09:44 PM)

Hello All ,

I have just created a LabVIEW programe to open VI files from a main one when pressing

a button , but the problem is that the new VIs panels are opened in new windows

How can i open the desired VI in the same window of the main one ???

Besides , How i can make the opened VIs to run just after being called from the main panel

Please , i wainting for your help !!

thanx a lot

Yours

I'd try subpanels :)

Help->Find Examples -> Building User Interfaces -> General -> Simple SubPanel ...

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Mar 15 2007, 05:55 PM)

You can ask position and bounds of the parent window and place your SubVIs in this Array or use SubPanel, how i2dx just told.

I personally find windows more usefull than SubPanel, because the user can move, resize and hide it.

Eugen Graf

Very true, but I know that I have thought many times of creating a child window framework using subpanels, that you could move/resize/cascade/minimize and so-forth.

Well the short of what i'm getting at is, hasn't anyone implemented this yet using subpanels?

The least that it would take is a custom sub-panel that had a standard title-bar that you could click and drag the sub panel around.

well, I know it's possible....

Using the Windows API to do MDI using the parenting functions is very simple and will save you all the hassle of having to deal with subpanels, but in my experience (with some of the older versions) it used to have some display problems under certain conditions. Also, obviously, it's Windows specific.

You can find some examples by searching the NI forums for MDI.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 25 2007, 04:06 PM)

Well well... looks like that's exactly what I was thinking minus the framework of also creating a manager.

I bet w/ the improvements in event registration and handling and xcontrols, this might have the potential to be a bit more fruitful this go around.

That is unless, you've actually developed this and don't feel like giving all that hard work out for free to the community. :thumbdown:

QUOTE(njkirchner @ Mar 26 2007, 06:17 AM)

I bet w/ the improvements in event registration and handling and xcontrols, this might have the potential to be a bit more fruitful this go around.

I have even a (hopefully) better idea, why not use an Xcontrol with an subpanel. In that case you could have maximize, minimize events handled inside the XControl.

Ton