Top 10 Worst Web App Names

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Jul 17 2007, 09:13 PM)

goop is good!

I don't like labvoop. Sticking a b right next to a v makes it hard to say. Same with lvoop, or is it elvoop? More confusion.

I liked the LOOP acronym that was suggested by some people before LabVIEW 8.2 was released.

QUOTE(Ben @ Jul 17 2007, 12:25 PM)

I can hear the lawyers now "You want to copyright 'Loop'?".

Ben

Does it have to be copyrighted, trademarked or patented?

One call always do: "CompanyX's LOOP" as a copyright or iLOOP (if you're Apple) or maybe weLOOP...

I also always liked GOOP myself.

QUOTE(Val Brown @ Jul 17 2007, 02:32 PM)

Does it have to be copyrighted, trademarked or patented?

Yes. Because otherwise someone will *find* a way to copyright, trademark or otherwise patent it and then charge you license fees.

Fix the US legal system first, then we'll fix the naming conventions. :-(

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Jul 17 2007, 03:59 PM)

... Fix the US legal system first, then we'll fix the naming conventions. :-(

I think that can only be done one way which is charcterized by my buddies reaction to reading the "Honey-do-list" for my house. After reading through it he threw it back at me and said "Tear down house, build new."

My wife likes LabVOOP. Just de-emphesize the the "b" and pronounce like its a French term.

Ben

QUOTE(orko @ Jul 17 2007, 11:08 PM)

:thumbup:

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Jul 17 2007, 11:18 PM)

Ah, you mean LAVOOP. I love it. :thumbup:

Likewise. Very good.

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Jul 17 2007, 11:44 PM)

Oh dear, is that the http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=259564#M259564' target="_blank">second Blues Brothers reference today? :laugh:

I still say go with BUGGER.

QUOTE(yen @ Jul 17 2007, 02:32 PM)

Could also go with LaGOOP or even LabGOOP...

Actually Aristos, common use trumps copyright -- it has to be unique to be copyrighted -- same thing for trademark and patent. The biggest issue isn't the US legal system -- it's the best that money can buy. The biggest issue is that everyone thinks that it's the only or best way to handle these kinds of issues. And that means that the issue comes down to who has the deepest pocket -- ie who can buy the most justice. Getting a patent isn't all that difficult -- enforcing it, esp re: software, now that's a very, very different issue.