VI tools for Canon Powershot cameras

Has anyone built a set of tools for controlling Canon Powershot cameras (specifically the A-640 model.

I'm looking for free here. I've downloaded canons SDK (PS-ReC SDK 1.1.0b) and might consider building my own bridge vi's if it doesn't seem too hard. The SDK includes C- based DLL's. I have heard that it's not too hard to access these from LV, but I've never done it so I would love it if someone could point me in the right direction for doing this.

Of course, I would really love it if someone has already done this and was willing to share.

Thanks,

I've used C DLLs in LabVIEW many times you basically need a Call Library Function Node and double click to set up the parameters acording to the API. If the dll came with a header file there is a wizard which can generate dlls automatically in 8.2 its is found under "Tools>>Import>>Shared Library(.dll)" in the menu. Here is a full Manual which might be helpful: Using External Code in LabVIEW Manual

I have a canon A620 so would be interested in this project. Where did you get the dll from?

QUOTE(Karissap @ Jul 29 2007, 05:38 PM)

I got the DLL in the SDK that canon will provide.

Cannon SDKs

There are some restrictions for international developers.

Australian and New Zealand-based developers are requested to contact Canon Australia at the following e-mail address:

http://www.canon.com.au/support/story_793.html

You make a request. They get back with you. You tell them a little about what what you want to do and agree to their redistribution license.

Anyway, I found the wizard and have gotten it to work (sort of) The wizard was able to figure out 22 of 26 objects. It seems to have trouble dealing with pointers to pointers I think. Not sure. If you get the SDK and have better luck I'd sure be interested in knowing how you got all working.

Thanks

QUOTE(LV Punk @ Aug 1 2007, 07:37 AM)

Off topic, but may I ask what you think of the camera? I've been using my Cannon A-80 for a few years now, and was thinking about buying the A-640 for my trip with the kids to DisneyWorld in November.

I've always liked the CompactFlash and the two Custom settings capability of the A-80.

Well, I mostly bought it to use for monitoring experiments and for remotely measuring waveheights in a wave tank. But, it does have many swell features. For the same money (or less), if the remote capture/control feature is not needed, there are a few other camera's that might be worth looking at as well.

• 1 year later...

Were you able to control the camera from LabView?

I am in a desperate need to control a powershot SX110 IS. I got the PS-RecSDK from Canon for the camera. I am using the utility from LabView to convert the .Dll's functions to Vi's

somehow I am always stuck at the PR_ReleaseCameraControl function.

Any help..........

QUOTE (Prasun @ Dec 11 2008, 06:52 PM)

Tried the s/w from Hytek automation, it can take pictures, but I am not able to control anything else. (i.e. no zoom, ISO or focus settings)

any suggestions?

Hello Prasun,

Canon does not support control camera settings remotely. Most Nikon cameras do. So it is camera dependant. These settings are optional features with PTP protocal, so the vendors can decide if they want to provide these features for PTP or not.

Irene

QUOTE (Irene_he @ Dec 12 2008, 09:49 AM)

Hello Prasun,

Canon does not support control camera settings remotely. Most Nikon cameras do. So it is camera dependant. These settings are optional features with PTP protocal, so the vendors can decide if they want to provide these features for PTP or not.

Irene

This is a bit of a nitpick but most Canon Cameras do support some settings over PTP. The problem is that the Windows WIA driver for PTP cameras only supports some generic PTP properties and methods. And there is no easy way to access that PTP interface directly on Windows machines.

I do have a LabVIEW interface that goes through WIA to access a PTP camera directly through its PTP interface using the WIA passthrough operation. But this is both non-open source and also anything but trivial or for free :rolleyes: .

Even when you would have that interface you would have to have documentation over the actual supported PTP properties and methods in order to be able to do much more than just take a simple image. And setting those properties right is anything but trivial since they seldom mach the settings you would make on the control dials or menus directly but have different units/operations and often depend on other properties too.

I have only used this interface with Nikon DSLR cameras (D series) also controlling vendor specific properties and methods not supported by the generic WIA interface so far and have no experience with the Powershot series of Canon at all.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Edited by rolfk
  • 1 year later...

Were you able to control the camera from LabView?

I am in a desperate need to control a powershot SX110 IS. I got the PS-RecSDK from Canon for the camera. I am using the utility from LabView to convert the .Dll's functions to Vi's

somehow I am always stuck at the PR_ReleaseCameraControl function.

Any help..........

Hi there, Prasun

Any luck with your SX 110IS camera? I have the same model, and I think I am also stuck with the same problems. Did you manage to do something about that?

Thanks.

Hi there, Prasun

Any luck with your SX 110IS camera? I have the same model, and I think I am also stuck with the same problems. Did you manage to do something about that?

Thanks.

I recently used TCamRemote ActiveX library, which is an abstraction layer around Canon SDKs. Works very well (with one small issue) and it is really very well documented.