LAVA maintenance this weekend

Everyone, the LAVA Forums will be going through upgrades, fixes, tweaks and a face lift. So please please please be patient as I work through this. The consequence will be that the forums and the other areas of the site will be mostly offline for Sept. 8 and 9 this weekend. The site may not be down for the entire weekend but there are no guarantees. In other words, you can try visiting the site at various times because you might get lucky and the upgrades may be done.

The initial upgrades are complete. Thank you for your patience. There are some minor glitches but all will be fixed over time.

Upgraded the forums to the latest release: Mostly bug fixes and theme\skin\style changes.

Upgraded the Gallery to the latest release: Some usability improvements. The noticable changes are a nicer quicker photostrip scrolling, now images popup in a thickbox when clicking the image to enlarge it and there are convenient URL boxes to the right of the image when you need to insert on another website or places where image attachments aren't allowed.

post-2-1189381597.png?width=400

Also, I think you can now upload a zip file with multiple images and they will be decompressed and added to the gallery automatically.

There is also better navigation between currently viewed images:

post-2-1189386198.png?width=400

QUOTE(crelf @ Sep 10 2007, 07:14 AM)

I went with RSS feeds a couple of weeks ago. I don't like Internet Explorer as an RSS reader so I have them streaming right into Outlook. It's great! Makes it much easier to keep up with the posts and if I need to see the actual thread there is a link that takes me right to it.

QUOTE(TobyD @ Sep 10 2007, 11:35 AM)

I went with RSS feeds a couple of weeks ago. I don't like Internet Explorer as an RSS reader so I have them streaming right into Outlook. It's great! Makes it much easier to keep up with the posts and if I need to see the actual thread there is a link that takes me right to it.

I guess I'll try back tomorow.

Ben

QUOTE(TobyD @ Sep 10 2007, 08:35 AM)

Amen to that. I use Thunderbird for my email/RSS and it's great for keeping up to date.

It seems there's a bug with the RSS feed now. If a thread is only 1 page long, links point directly to the post. If a thread has more than one page, the link just displays the first post - it doesn't drill down into subsequent pages (I'm using Sage in Firefox).

Jaegen

QUOTE(jaegen @ Sep 10 2007, 09:54 AM)

It seems there's a bug with the RSS feed now. If a thread is only 1 page long, links point directly to the post. If a thread has more than one page, the link just displays the first post - it doesn't drill down into subsequent pages (I'm using Sage in Firefox).

Jaegen

I see the same problem in Thunderbird.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Sep 8 2007, 03:14 AM)

Everyone, the LAVA Forums will be going through upgrades, fixes, tweaks and a face lift. So please please please be patient as I work through this.

Great work Mike.

I can wait for the "View New Posts" to come back, No worries :)

QUOTE(TG @ Sep 10 2007, 10:36 AM)

Great work Mike.

I can wait for the "View New Posts" to come back, No worries :)

Yes, the pain caused by missing features just shows how much we appreciate this forum!!

I found that searching for the word 'the' within the last 7 days returns most if not all of the new posts. It seems that trying to jump to the new post in the thread doesn't work. But it is a workaround in the meantime.

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Sep 10 2007, 09:39 AM)

Amen to that. I use Thunderbird for my email/RSS and it's great for keeping up to date.

Perhaps it's "better but it doesn't work for me at all now while I'm traveling. All I have äccess to is IE at what amounts to an Internet Cafe.

Does this mean that "View New Posts"will now really mean: "Generic Search Window""?

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Sep 10 2007, 07:09 PM)

Thanks for the suggestion -- that's what I'm doing. I just really don't like it. Or perhaps I'm not used to it but am still used to using the "View New Posts" option to, well, actually View New Posts. Maybe I'm missing something here but, why have the item/option if it doesn't work? If it's ONLY going to push you to a generic Search window then call it "Search".

But let me approach this another way -- what can I do from RSS to "View New Posts"? ie, if I use ALT-J or the RSS icon up on my IE toolbar, I go to what looks like a single page "precise" of the last post for a thread. Is there something I missed on THAT page to perform navigate around more effectively?

As Dr. Evil might say: "Throw me a bone"