Does anyone use the Source Distribution-Preserve Hierarchy ?

QUOTE(Ben @ Sep 27 2007, 08:15 PM)

Beside myself of course. I am just curious if anyone else uses it.

Ben

well, when i need to distribute, i generally do so within a llb (custom ->llb). otherwise i keep the project as is. is there any advantage to distribute while preserving hierarchy? why not just give the full project?

QUOTE(Gabi1 @ Sep 27 2007, 02:46 PM)

well, when i need to distribute, i generally do so within a llb (custom ->llb). otherwise i keep the project as is. is there any advantage to distribute while preserving hierarchy? why not just give the full project?

Hi Gabi1,

I use the

Source Distribution >>> Single Prompt >>> Preserve Hierarchy

As a quick and easy method to collect all of the VI's associated with an application and move them to a new location. This functions as an easy way to get rid of all of the temporary VI's that are not being used by the application but are present in the folders mixed in with all of the active files. When the surce is built, LV takes care of saving all of the VI's such that they can find all of their sub-VI and prevents cross-linking issues.

One the Source Dstribution is built to the new location, the old folder can be deleted and replaced with the results of the Source distribution.

So it an easy way to clean up the folders while preventing cross-linking.

Ben

QUOTE(Ben @ Sep 27 2007, 03:13 PM)

Hi Gabi1,

I use the

Source Distribution >>> Single Prompt >>> Preserve Hierarchy

As a quick and easy method to collect all of the VI's associated with an application and move them to a new location. This functions as an easy way to get rid of all of the temporary VI's that are not being used by the application but are present in the folders mixed in with all of the active files. When the surce is built, LV takes care of saving all of the VI's such that they can find all of their sub-VI and prevents cross-linking issues.

One the Source Dstribution is built to the new location, the old folder can be deleted and replaced with the results of the Source distribution.

I used this feature in older LabVIEW versions exactly to detect crosslinking! It allowed to see if a project was referencing somehow VIs outside of the project file hierarchy (and vi.lib, user.lib). Any such VIs I usually squashed immediately to avoid later problems with cross linked VIs referencing VIs from other projects (and even worse: other LabVIEW versions).

Unfortunately LabVIEW 8.0/8.2 lost that capability and I didn't get around to try 8.5 yet for any real project.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(rolfk @ Sep 28 2007, 02:16 AM)

...Unfortunately LabVIEW 8.0/8.2 lost that capability and I didn't get around to try 8.5 yet for any real project.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf,

What had previously been available under save with options (for pre LV 8.0) was moved to the project.

Under Build you have and option to creae a Source Distribution.

The configuration screen of the Source Distribution let you configure the dist. similar to what was availabe in pre LV 8.0.

Ben

QUOTE(Ben @ Sep 27 2007, 10:13 PM)

Ben

Ben, you just saved me so much time you should be rewarded! :worship: whenever i meet you, its a promised beer (a good, real bavarian weizen beer!).

one of my biggest trouble when i develop is that i create lots of "test version" subvis, and only one becomes (associated with its sub-sub-vis) the "used" one. i spend so much time cleaning the folders it is unbelievable :headbang: .

ps. i love the emoticons here...we should transfer them to the NI forum :)

I have tried to use this many times as a mechanisim to take a template/baseline program (I'll explain in a bit) and copy it to a new location as to create something new from the baseline.

Unfortunately, the exclusion of VI's within the project does not exclude their paths from being included within the preserved hierarchy. In other words, if you want to exclude some VIs at c:\foo\*.vi and the real files you want to distribute are at c:\foobar\neewom\*.vi and below directories, it will not preserve on the hierarchy from foobar and below, it will include 'c' as part of the presereved hierarchy as the least common directory and make it very difficult to move the files around.

So you end up making a hierarchy w/ many empty directories especially if the directory that you want to preserve is many layers down from the least common directory.

QUOTE(NormKirchner @ Sep 28 2007, 12:14 PM)

I have tried to use this many times as a mechanisim to take a template/baseline program (I'll explain in a bit) and copy it to a new location as to create something new from the baseline.

Unfortunately, the exclusion of VI's within the project does not exclude their paths from being included within the preserved hierarchy. In other words, if you want to exclude some VIs at c:\foo\*.vi and the real files you want to distribute are at c:\foobar\neewom\*.vi and below directories, it will not preserve on the hierarchy from foobar and below, it will include 'c' as part of the presereved hierarchy as the least common directory and make it very difficult to move the files around.

So you end up making a hierarchy w/ many empty directories especially if the directory that you want to preserve is many layers down from the least common directory.

Hi Norm!

I'd love to help but I would have to follow you to do that. Could you slow down to 1/4 speed and try that again?

Please.

Ben