Stop LV from auto-numbering VI icons?

I was hoping maybe there was a super-secret INI setting for this, but I couldn't find any information about one...

I would like to have LabVIEW stop automatically putting those little numbers in the lower-right corners of the icons for the VIs I create:

post-2992-1192188726.png?width=400

Is there a way to turn that behavior off?

I'm trying to get the hang of the new icon templating features in LV85, but the little numbers get in the way. I'm removing them by hand, which mostly ruins the benefit of using the icon templates in the first place. :angry:

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Oct 12 2007, 01:38 PM)

I was hoping maybe there was a super-secret INI setting for this, but I couldn't find any information about one...

I would like to have LabVIEW stop automatically putting those little numbers in the lower-right corners of the icons for the VIs I create:

Is there a way to turn that behavior off?

I'm trying to get the hang of the new icon templating features in LV85, but the little numbers get in the way. I'm removing them by hand, which mostly ruins the benefit of using the icon templates in the first place. :angry:

I have a workarround...

You can just drag and drop a picture "into" the Icon of the Frontpannel Winndow- that takes only a few seconds...

=> Create your own Templates (pictures) as much as you like

Or you can use an customized ICON-Editor:

LAVA Code Repository...

Vi, Vit, Ctl Icon and Description Editor /Browser

Mark Balla's Icon Editor Ver 2.2

QUOTE(martin@aerodynamics @ Oct 12 2007, 05:00 AM)

Yeah, those are all what I currently live with (actually, I also create a lot of my icons from templates in http://gimp.org/' target="_blank">The GIMP -- Choose Layer Visibilities >> Copy Visible >> Paste into LV icon).

But "a few seconds" times "almost every VI I create" equals a lot of menial labor and a lot of context switching. And besides, the library/class/etc. icon templates in LV85 are supposed to mitigate that thrashing, but they don't because the auto-numbering mangles the template icons. The new feature is being hamstrung by the old one. (Unless there's a way to turn it off, which is what I'm looking for... :D )

EDIT: Just to re-emphasize, I'm talking about LV85 here. The workarounds you mentioned are greattolerable for LV821 and below, but in LV85 there are new icon templates you can use as overlays in library & class development, and that's where the problem occurs ;).

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Oct 12 2007, 05:16 AM)

But "a few seconds" times "almost every VI I create" equals a lot of menial labor and a lot of context switching. And besides, the library/class/etc. icon templates in LV85 are supposed to mitigate that thrashing, but they don't because the auto-numbering mangles the template icons. The new feature is being hamstrung by the old one. (Unless there's a way to turn it off, which is what I'm looking for... :D )

EDIT: Just to re-emphasize, I'm talking about LV85 here. The workarounds you mentioned are greattolerable for LV821 and below, but in LV85 there are new icon templates you can use as overlays in library & class development, and that's where the problem occurs ;) .

I haven't done much in 8.5, but if the behavior is the same you just need to create 10 items (VIs, etc.) After that the numbering goes blank. Its sort of like a feature you have to unlock by writing lots of code. :P

So just script the creation and deletion of 10 items, and then run that whenever you start coding.

In LV8.5...

UseNumbersForNewVIIconsInLibs=FALSE

This only affects VIs created inside libraries (.lvlib, .lvclass, .xctl, .lvsc, etc). If you just do "New>>VI" not in a library, you'll get the numbers for the first 9 VIs you create and blank thereafter.

Since this has gotten good feedback, I'm probably going to change the name of this .ini token in the next LV version to just be this:

UseNumbersForNewVIIcons=FALSE

and it would affect all VIs, not just those in libraries. I mention this now just so people who read this aren't surprised in a future version when the current token stops working.