VI from Static and Dynamic Dispatch template doesn't inherit environmental

After installing LabVIEW I immediately set the grid size to 8x8 for both diagram types. It's much better to align objects. This works fine for creating a new VI which is not inherited from a template. But with the new OOP features of LabVIEW an annoying issue was born. If you create a new VI from a static or dynamic dispatch template the grid size is not set to the given environmental value. Instead the default sizes are used and you have to manually change the VI grid settings.

Creating new VIs from templates should also take care of the environment grid settings. This is CAR #49MA4FU1.

Henrik

QUOTE(hskupin @ Oct 15 2007, 06:11 AM)

If you create a new VI from a static or dynamic dispatch template the grid size is not set to the given environmental value. Instead the default sizes are used and you have to manually change the VI grid settings.

I have not tried this myself, but I bet that if you find the VIT file(s) that are actually being used to create new member VIs, you could change the grid setting in the template to what you want. That would give you a workaround for the current situation.

My initial guess would be that the template you're looking for is somewhere in or near C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\resource\Framework\Providers\LVClassLibrary. It might be CLSUIP_MemberTemplate.vit, although as I said I haven't exactly dug into it myself :).

NOTE: If you modify any files in that directory, you should fully expect them to be overwritten when you update LabVIEW in the future.

QUOTE(hskupin @ Oct 15 2007, 08:11 AM)

Creating new VIs from templates should also take care of the environment grid settings. This is CAR #49MA4FU1.

And here we have contradictory requirements.

See, suppose Corporation XYZ wants all dialogs to have a similar look/feel. So they create a template VI, with front panel grid spacing of 13, because they want 13 pixels between all independent controls, and a 13-pixel margin around controls always. They may also configure the VI to use Classic controls by default, etc.

Now a developer creates a new VI from the template. Should we use the developer's environment settings? Or the template settings? We use the template settings because, well, that's the point of a template.

Now, that's true for *user* templates. But the templates for new LVClass functions (and a host of other features in LV, like XControl functions, for example) are NI templates that we use to accelerate the creation of methods. These should use the environment settings.

The foregoing thoughs have led to a huge debate within LV R&D about the nature of a template and what is appropriate behavior in a wide range of scenarios. This is much bigger than LV classes, and whatever comes out of that debate, classes will take advantage of.

Stephen, a bit off topic, but I tried enabling FP grid alignment based on your suggestion and it doesn't really work - most of the time it's fine, but occasionally I find that I need to be able to play with something and pressing G doesn't seem to help, so I have to go into the options screen and disable it and then I don't feel like changing it back.

I still like most of the other newer IDE features, though.

QUOTE(Yen @ Oct 15 2007, 05:12 PM)

Stephen, a bit off topic, but I tried enabling FP grid alignment based on your suggestion and it doesn't really work - most of the time it's fine, but occasionally I find that I need to be able to play with something and pressing G doesn't seem to help, so I have to go into the options screen and disable it and then I don't feel like changing it back.

I still like most of the other newer IDE features, though.

Use the menu item Operate>>Disable/Enable Alignment Grid, or the short cut key ctrl+# (unless you're on a French keyboard in which case it is ctrl+*). Avoids going to Tools>>Options.