USB 6008 as an industrial data logger?!

Hi there,

I am designing a simple data logger for an industrial application, and it seems that the USB-6008 has all the specs needed for my measurements (accuracy, resolution, no. of channels, and sampling rate). I just fear the fact that this is a low end card, and that it might not suite the harsh industrial environment, especially its image as a school lab card.

Are there any durability/stability issues regarding the use of the USB-6008 in an industrial environment, just for data logging, knowing that all the specs are compliant to the application, and that we have no problem with the USB conection.

Thankyou so much for your help...

QUOTE (fuzzycontrolfreak @ Mar 17 2008, 01:41 PM)

Hi there,

I am designing a simple data logger for an industrial application, and it seems that the USB-6008 has all the specs needed for my measurements (accuracy, resolution, no. of channels, and sampling rate). I just fear the fact that this is a low end card, and that it might not suite the harsh industrial environment, especially its image as a school lab card.

Are there any durability/stability issues regarding the use of the USB-6008 in an industrial environment, just for data logging, knowing that all the specs are compliant to the application, and that we have no problem with the USB conection.

On NI.com/certification you can easily lookup what a USB-6008 can do under what conditions.

Ton

Hi there,

We have 6009 in a industry application that just stopped working, we were forced unconnect and reconnect the device before it started to work properly again. However since then it has worked, it worked for some month before. It all depends you need the reliablity? I would go for something with isolation, if you are going to have your own sensors, there are usb modules for 4-20 mA.

Hi there,

We have 6009 in a industry application that just stopped working, we were forced unconnect and reconnect the device before it started to work properly again. However since then it has worked, it worked for some month before. It all depends you need the reliablity? I would go for something with isolation, if you are going to have your own sensors, there are usb modules for 4-20 mA.

QUOTE (neB @ Mar 17 2008, 02:54 PM)

I have seen USB devices change their device ID with power disturbances. Provided everything is on a UPS, those issues may be of no concern.

Ben

Ben that was a good comment, I had some measurement eq. on a train and we had propblems with some usb devices. Do you mean that the computer itself would not be effected but usb-device would be?

QUOTE (Anders Björk @ Mar 17 2008, 09:05 AM)

Ben that was a good comment, I had some measurement eq. on a train and we had propblems with some usb devices. Do you mean that the computer itself would not be effected but usb-device would be?

I can't be certain.

My experience is based on using USB hubs and multiple USB DAQ devices. Depending on the version of the drivers, which devices saw the power hit, which one came up first....

I have seen the devie ID's change. In both cases, I had to write work-arounds (to figure out which device was which) based on the I?O they supported or by device serial number. In both cases the app had to be restarted (to invoke my ID work-arounds). Restarting apps in production enviornments is generally conciderd "un-cool".

Just trying to help,

Ben

QUOTE (neB @ Mar 17 2008, 03:15 PM)

I can't be certain.

My experience is based on using USB hubs and multiple USB DAQ devices. Depending on the version of the drivers, which devices saw the power hit, which one came up first....

I have seen the devie ID's change. In both cases, I had to write work-arounds (to figure out which device was which) based on the I?O they supported or by device serial number. In both cases the app had to be restarted (to invoke my ID work-arounds). Restarting apps in production enviornments is generally conciderd "un-cool".

Just trying to help,

Ben

Thanks Ben, I have learned something new and important today. I have to investigate this because I will use a hub USB and two daqdevices and two usb232. Maybe a really good UPS is worth the cost.

QUOTE (i2dx @ Mar 17 2008, 08:38 PM)

Thanks i2dx,

My knowledge of die Deutsche Sprache ist very little, but I got the idea, I bet it is very useful. But actually I do not have a problem with building the application, I just wanna make sure everything will go alright with the DAQ card. I believe that a UPS will assure reliable operation, I'll give it a try anyway.

Thanks for all the replies, they were extremely helpful...

• 9 months later...