Should be working, but...

Cat

QUOTE (Yen @ Apr 24 2008, 01:35 PM)

I think they had one of those games at the last NIWeek, but I didn't participate.

I saw that when I did a search on "geocaching" on the lava website. Yet another reason to try to make it to NIWeek sometime. My team leader is a geocacher; maybe he'll break some $ loose for it now. :)

It's a lot of fun. I've found over 100 geocaches in 17 states. This is nothing compared to Real Geocachers. They have find counts in the thousands. Most geocachers tend to be in the tech professions (or families thereof).

There are more than 600,000 caches hidden in over 100 countries.

It's a great way to see places you never would have gone otherwise. A fun way to get out of doors and get a little exercise (or a lot, depending on the cache).

QUOTE (Cat @ Apr 24 2008, 02:53 PM)

I saw that when I did a search on "geocaching" on the lava website. Yet another reason to try to make it to NIWeek sometime. My team leader is a geocacher; maybe he'll break some $ loose for it now. :)

It's a lot of fun. I've found over 100 geocaches in 17 states. This is nothing compared to Real Geocachers. They have find counts in the thousands. Most geocachers tend to be in the tech professions (or families thereof).

There are more than 600,000 caches hidden in over 100 countries.

It's a great way to see places you never would have gone otherwise. A fun way to get out of doors and get a little exercise (or a lot, depending on the cache).

As I read this thread the question arose "What prize would be at the the end of a LAVA geocache adventure?"

A LV Scripting License?

Ben

Never played Geocacher before. But I do have one GPS, most time it works great, but sometime, she told me to turn right, then when I did as she said, she told me right the way "turn around when possible", but... so for a while I didn't know where to go. I hoped she was not as lost as I was. :)

Irene

QUOTE (Irene_he @ Apr 27 2008, 04:12 AM)

I hoped she was not as lost as I was. :)

Maybe it gets lost because you refer to it as a "she"... ;)

Disclaimer - I've often driven with my younger sister in the passanger seat and let her handle the navigation and she's reasonably good at it.

QUOTE (Yen @ Apr 27 2008, 09:38 AM)

Disclaimer - I've often driven with my younger sister in the passanger seat and let her handle the navigation and she's reasonably good at it.

My own personal experiences tell me that navigational skills somehow diminish logarithmically starting on the wedding day. ;)

A GPS navigator with my wife's current skills (we've been married 15 years now), matched up with my driving skills (which are perfectly fine if I'm the only one in the car :P ), would sound more like: "Ahhh! Look out! You almost got us killed! Oh, and by the way you should have turned left 3 seconds ago. Don't you know where you're going...? Man, you are so lost."

QUOTE (orko @ Apr 27 2008, 01:09 PM)

My own personal experiences tell me that navigational skills somehow diminish logarithmically starting on the wedding day. ;)

In my case I'd say it was a second order relationship who's second derivative is positive. There also seems to be another factor that enters the eq where my wifes naviagting quality is a function of how familiar she is with a trip. The more familiar, the poorer the directions. "You should have made the left I always make but did not tell you about."

My wife handles the navagating in unknown teritory very well. Sho uses the old-school approach of road maps and hard-copy propganda. On our return trip from Austin a couple of years ago I felt I was on a tour bus with her reading off the historical sites along the route. She claims passing the worlds largest teddy bear store on the way back was just a coincidence. :oops: I think too highly of her to beleive it.

Ben

Guys, guys! Are we being just a tad bit sexist here?!? :rolleyes:

On the flip side of the coin, my ex-husband and I were travelling across country and he was driving. I took a little nap and when I woke up he was on the completely wrong highway. I did some quick remapping (this was pre-GPS days) and got us going in the right (but now much longer) direction. When asked why he didn't stop when he thought he might be going the wrong way, his response was, "I was making really good time."

As I said, he's my "ex" now... :)

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Apr 23 2008, 07:53 PM)

Here here.

QUOTE (Cat @ Apr 29 2008, 06:07 PM)

Guys, guys! Are we being just a tad bit sexist here?!?
:rolleyes:

Yes

When asked why he didn't stop when he thought he might be going the wrong way, his response was, "I was making really good time."

What's wrong with that?

Seeing a little bit more of you country can never be bad.

They are currently doing the drivers exam in the Netherlands with GPS navigation :headbang:

I have recently driven with one of those guys, (I was driving) and let him read the map. Let's just say we were late.

Ton

QUOTE (Cat @ Apr 29 2008, 06:07 PM)

No.

QUOTE (Cat)

his response was, "I was making really good time."

Can't say I see the problem with that. :rolleyes:

Most women I know at the very least think they can't read a map and use it for directions while most men I know do. In my experience, most of those men are clever enough to actually use the map properly and not just think they know how to. As I said, my younger sister is an example for someone who has no problem with a map while the other women in my family claim they can't use one.

QUOTE (Cat @ Apr 29 2008, 02:06 PM)

Actually, I divorced him for not being geeky enough. :)

OK, that makes sense.

My ex-wife purchased "The Silicon Valley Guy Handbook", handed it to me and said "You look like this guy" hoping to humiliate me into dressing and acting less geeky. Little did she realized the guy on the cover was leaning on a CDC 9766 (disk drive) that just happened to be one of my specailties at the time. Needless to say it did not work (humiliating me not the disk drive) and we parted ways.

I eventually met my current wife (while working on a CDC 9762) who was a member of the "Bit Brains' when in college and used to get a kick out of guys reactions when they attempted to use the pick-up line;

Guy: "Do you like video games?"

Reply: "Yes! Do you write them too?"

Ben

QUOTE (Cat @ Apr 29 2008, 09:23 PM)

It may be a "family" thing.

Actually, I think it's more of a cultural issue. While some people would have a harder time using maps (just like some people are dyslexic and some find math hard), I don't think women are automatically most of those people. Men, on the other hand, often have the cultural upbringing of not admitting ignorance or mistakes and therefore some men will not use maps or ask directions.

QUOTE (crelf @ Apr 29 2008, 11:31 AM)

QUOTE (Cat @ Apr 29 2008, 12:23 PM)

From what I've seen on this forum, you'd definitely do just fine.
:D:D

Do you love birds want me to setup a special "LAVA Connections" forum?