Table with Drop Down Items

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Jun 24 2008, 10:06 AM)

Check out http://forums.lavag.org/Event-Value-change-during-the-change-and-not-at-the-end-t7388.html&pid=28049' target="_blank">this thread for some ideas.

Once the mouse down is detected, move a hidden off-screen ring to over-lap the cell and set screen focus to it.

Just trying to help,

Ben

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Jun 24 2008, 06:39 AM)

Ok, thank you, I just made it.

In my experience, things like this are really tough to implement because there are lots of weird things that can happen after you display the ring control.

The first one off the top of my head is what happens when the user pulls down the ring control, but instead of clicking inside it to select something, they click outside it? Normally, that's the behavior when the user wants to cancel what they were doing and exit the item selection without changing the current value of the selector. How do you handle that case?

I'm asking not because I have an answer, and not because I think there's not an answer -- I just mean that the answer isn't obvious to me right now, but your users will expect it to work that way. I've historically found that replicating all the expected behaviors in a LabVIEW control is really hard if not impossible. If you've got a solution, I'd be really interested to hear it.

QUOTE (Justin Goeres @ Jun 24 2008, 12:18 PM)

In my experience, things like this are really tough to implement because there are lots of weird things that can happen after you display the ring control.

The first one off the top of my head is what happens when the user pulls down the ring control, but instead of clicking inside it to select something, they click outside it? Normally, that's the behavior when the user wants to cancel what they were doing and exit the item selection without changing the current value of the selector. How do you handle that case?

I'm asking not because I have an answer, and not because I think there's not an answer -- I just mean that the answer isn't obvious to me right now, but your users will expect it to work that way. I've historically found that replicating all the expected behaviors in a LabVIEW control is really hard if not impossible. If you've got a solution, I'd be really interested to hear it.

Ring>>> Mouse Leave Event hides ring?

Ben

QUOTE (neB @ Jun 24 2008, 06:33 PM)

Ben

As soon as you hover the options you will get a mouse-leave event.

This can be triggered by just clicking the control.

But hey a ring control has two super-duper events:

'Activated' this one gets triggered as soon as the control is clicked

'Dismissed' if the Activated event is well ehm dismissed

Ton

QUOTE (neB @ Jun 24 2008, 06:33 PM)

Ben

Ton

I use Combo Box, because I can change the Size of this control to the size of the table cell. Can I hange the size of a ring control? I didn't find this property.

P.S. and here is the Front Pannel of the VI.

I have played with this a bit, and agree that it is fraught with difficulties. But if the use case is limited, it should work great.

QUOTE (tcplomp @ Jun 24 2008, 09:47 AM)

Ton

Where are these events, Ton? They sound awesome, but I have never seen them.

QUOTE (JDave @ Jun 24 2008, 08:14 PM)

I have played with this a bit, and agree that it is fraught with difficulties. But if the use case is limited, it should work great.

Where are these events, Ton? They sound awesome, but I have never seen them.

I am currently working in 8.2 and they are not present there, but they are available in 8.5 (they seem to be private though):

post-2399-1214332306.png?width=400

I assume they are private because the help goes nowhere.

Eugen,

Is named Numeric size the one you are looking for?

Ton

QUOTE (tcplomp @ Jun 24 2008, 11:31 AM)

I am currently working in 8.2 and they are not present there, but they are available in 8.5 (they seem to be private though):

I assume they are private because the help goes nowhere.

Ton

Thanks!! It looks like I never put in the token for private properties in 8.5. That will help a lot to solve the issue with clicking on the current ring value. No event is generated from this event (until now :thumbup: )

QUOTE (JDave @ Jun 24 2008, 08:38 PM)

Thanks!! It looks like I never put in the token for private properties in 8.5. That will help a lot to solve the issue with clicking on the current ring value. No event is generated from this event (until now :thumbup: )

I don't think an event is fired if the same value is selected again (haven't tested).

Ton

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Jun 24 2008, 12:57 PM)

I use Combo Box, because I can change the Size of this control to the size of the table cell. Can I hange the size of a ring control? I didn't find this property.

P.S. and here is the Front Pannel of the VI.

I have the need for this functionality and am playing around with the alignment of the combo box on the table. Did you have to customize the combo box itself to achieve good registration with the table cells below? At best, my first cut looks poor. Your's looks nice.. Any tips?

Wes

QUOTE (wesramm @ Jun 27 2008, 08:48 PM)

I have the need for this functionality and am playing around with the alignment of the combo box on the table. Did you have to customize the combo box itself to achieve good registration with the table cells below? At best, my first cut looks poor. Your's looks nice.. Any tips?

Wes

No, I didn't customize Combo Box. I try always to use System Controls, not theese from LabVIEW Classic or Modern Palette.