How to detect GigE Camera

Hello,

I have a GigE Camera which is connected to computer through Ethernet Cables-RJ45. I am using LabView version 8.5 and have installed Vision Acquisition Software. Now I am tring to grab some images and do analysis, but how to let computer detect this camera?

Thanks

With the Vision Acquisition Software installed, you should just be able to plug in the camera (and power of course) and the system should recognize the camera. It may take a few seconds. You should then be able to launch Measurement & Automation Explorer and see the camera under Devices and Interfaces.

Here's a great resource for GigE http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5651

Also, never over look the examples.

Launch LabVIEW and click Help>Find Examples. Browse "Hardware Input and Output>IMAQdx"

There may also be some issue with your network card.

The camera documentation should detail any special needs for setting up the network card.

-James

QUOTE (kelvin @ Jul 21 2008, 04:47 PM)

Here are some troubleshooting steps using GigE camera http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5846 There are five cases might cause this problem. I checked one by one, but it seems the solution does not work. My camera is IPX-1M48-G and it works well with its own software. What's wrong

I'm no Gig-E expert, but have you gone in under device manager in Windows and checked which driver the camera is using? Maybe you need to use the NI Gig-E driver? Are jumbo packets enabled? That is quite critical the one time I played with a Gig-E camera.

Contact IPX and see if they can offer any help with using their device with LV.. My local Prosilica tech support walked me through using their camera with LV, and I finally got the demo camera to work.

Neville.

For what its worth, don't forget that you are dealing with an ethernet device here. If the IP addresses on your camera and computer aren't on the same subnet the camera won't show up in MAX as a NI-IMAQdx device.

I've got a couple of Imperx cameras here, but they don't work with NI-IMAQdx. The Imperx cameras work with thier own driver based on the Pleora chips they are using to transfer thier camera data over GigE. Since the Pleora technology came out before GigE Vision was a standard, it doesn't comply to the GigE Vision standard. I haven't checked with Imperx about my cameras, but they may be able to provide a firmware upgrade to make the camera Gigabit Ethernet camera compliant with the GigE Vision standard. If you do check with them about this option, please report back to let us know if they have something like that.

QUOTE (Chris Davis @ Jul 22 2008, 07:29 PM)

For what its worth, don't forget that you are dealing with an ethernet device here. If the IP addresses on your camera and computer aren't on the same subnet the camera won't show up in MAX as a NI-IMAQdx device.

I've got a couple of Imperx cameras here, but they don't work with NI-IMAQdx. The Imperx cameras work with thier own driver based on the Pleora chips they are using to transfer thier camera data over GigE. Since the Pleora technology came out before GigE Vision was a standard, it doesn't comply to the GigE Vision standard. I haven't checked with Imperx about my cameras, but they may be able to provide a firmware upgrade to make the camera Gigabit Ethernet camera compliant with the GigE Vision standard. If you do check with them about this option, please report back to let us know if they have something like that.

Nagging works.

I have nagged a lot with my local reseller of GigE cameras and I got them all upgraded to the latest software release. It are Dalsa cams using Pleora chips.

Ton

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I am facing the same problem that Kelvin has. I have a Cedip Titanium 520M GigE infrared camera. I can't see the camera in NI MAX and when I try to connect to the camera through Labview using the NI Vision modules, Labview can't detect my camera.

My camera has the Pleora iPort PT1000 IP engine and I don't know if it is GigE Vision compliant or not (GigE Vision compliancy is an optional feature for this type of IP engine). I have asked the camera company to find that out for me but they don't seem to know that much about GigE Vision compliancy!!! Is there anyway (i.e. test or ...) that I can find it out myself?

By the way, the camera works fine with its own software but I need to grab the images with Labview :(

Thanks a million

Nima

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (Nima @ Jan 21 2009, 05:25 PM)

Hi guys,

I am facing the same problem that Kelvin has. I have a Cedip Titanium 520M GigE infrared camera. I can't see the camera in NI MAX and when I try to connect to the camera through Labview using the NI Vision modules, Labview can't detect my camera.

My camera has the Pleora iPort PT1000 IP engine and I don't know if it is GigE Vision compliant or not (GigE Vision compliancy is an optional feature for this type of IP engine). I have asked the camera company to find that out for me but they don't seem to know that much about GigE Vision compliancy!!! Is there anyway (i.e. test or ...) that I can find it out myself?

By the way, the camera works fine with its own software but I need to grab the images with Labview :(

Thanks a million

Nima

Long shot, have you tried to change ethernet driver? As I recall it, Pleora has an application that allows you to change driver for the ethernet-card.

//Ulf

Yes, I have installed a high performance IP device driver using the Pleora driver installation tool, but still labview cannot detect the camera !!! I called Pleora and they told me my IP engine is not GigE Vision compliant and the camera company refused to upgrade the firmware of the camera :( . Is there any way to acquire the images in LabView with GigE standard? How did these GigE cameras wok before the GigE Vision era ?!!!

Nima

QUOTE (Ulf @ Feb 9 2009, 10:17 AM)

Long shot, have you tried to change ethernet driver? As I recall it, Pleora has an application that allows you to change driver for the ethernet-card.

//Ulf

QUOTE (Nima @ Feb 9 2009, 11:51 AM)

Another reason to stay away from them in the future. There are camera manufacturers a dime a dozen these days, Allied Vision Technologies, Prosilica (they got bought over by AVT), and Basler to name a few who are very good. No need to stick with vendors who are difficult to work with.

QUOTE (Nima @ Feb 9 2009, 11:51 AM)

Is there any way to acquire the images in LabView with GigE standard? How did these GigE cameras wok before the GigE Vision era ?!!!

Before Gig-E, NI maintained a list of supported cameras. If your camera was on the list, it was supported.

If your camera is Gig-E compliant, it means the command structure of the camera is somewhat standardised, and additional commands that are specific to camera model or manufacturer are specified in an xml file somewhere that the the software (like MAX or your LV code) can read.

You might call NI and start a service request on this one, to see if they can get that camera to work. You could even send the camera in to them, and they might give you a patch or something to make it work. But you should start the dialog with them.

Neville.

QUOTE (Nima @ Feb 9 2009, 09:51 PM)

Yes, I have installed a high performance IP device driver using the Pleora driver installation tool, but still labview cannot detect the camera !!! I called Pleora and they told me my IP engine is not GigE Vision compliant and the camera company refused to upgrade the firmware of the camera :( . Is there any way to acquire the images in LabView with GigE standard? How did these GigE cameras wok before the GigE Vision era ?!!!

Nima

Pleora has an application which allows firmware upgrades over ethernet. Ask them if it's possible to get that application and new firmware. I guess the problem is to get a new firmware from Pleora. The firmware could be specially made for the camera you are using and not a general purpose fw.

//Ulf

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot guys.

I called them all and it turned out that this GigE Vision standard is not supported by infrared camera companies; one infrared engineer even called GigE Vision wavelenght blind standard!! so I have to use the LabView toolkit that came with the camera. In any case, I am working with this toolkit and it works fine.

Cheers,

Nima

• 1 month later...

Hi,

First you need to see if you can access the camera through MAX.

Then select the correct camera file. If none is available download the camera generator from NI and generate your own.

You need to configure the ethernet card correctly. There is info available on the net.

One problem with gigE cameras can be the dynamic IP address if you're connected to a LAN. I ended up using a static IP address for the camera in order to capture images.

It's worth persevering because gigE cameras, once set up, make life easier.

Lightworker

QUOTE (kelvin @ Jul 21 2008, 11:45 AM)

Try using a static IP address. You can set this up via the control panel in windows.

Lightworker

QUOTE (Ulf @ Feb 9 2009, 04:17 PM)

//Ulf