Eugen Graf

Hello LAVAs!

I want to make my ranking system using 15 education levels like:

nursery child

pupil

bachelor

master

professor

Could anybody give me a web link to the full list of all available levels of education/graduation or write here in this topic what levels there are? I can't find such list by google.

Thank you, Eugen

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Sep 8 2008, 11:51 AM)

Hello LAVAs!

I want to make my ranking system using 15 education levels like:

nursery child

pupil

bachelor

master

professor

Could anybody give me a web link to the full list of all available levels of education/graduation or write here in this topic what levels there are? I can't find such list by google.

Thank you, Eugen

I think you're going to find it difficult to compile a definitive list because there are different educational structures, even within the same country. If it helps here's what happened to me: in the UK from 1969 onwards:-

Primary school: 2 years, aged 5 - 6

Infants school: 4 years, aged 7 - 11

Secondary school: 5 years, aged 11 - 16, 'O' level and CSE exams (Now replaced by GCSEs)

6th Form college: 2 years, aged 16 - 18, 'A' level exams

University: 3 years, aged 18 - 21, Bachelor of Science

Beyond what I did, were Masters and Doctorate (Phd)

Thank you, I don't need it more, I found an another hierarchy for my ranking system. But I found following education levels, if it's interesting to all:

Newcomer

Accepted to KinderGarden

Primary school student

Secondary school student

High school student

Freshman

Sophomore

Junior

Senior

Graduate

Postdoc (PhD)

Adjunct Professor

Associate Professor

Professor

Professor Emeritus

Regards, Eugen

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Sep 9 2008, 05:20 AM)

QUOTE (Kevin Payne @ Sep 9 2008, 04:59 AM)

I think you're going to find it difficult to compile a definitive list because there are different educational structures, even within the same country.

I agree with Kevin - if you're looking for a general catch-all for everyone, you're not going ot find it (which is why you should include the year of education, so others can have an idea of where they are in teh scheme). The model that you've found is (I think) the US system, and I'm not sure if it applies anywhere else.

QUOTE (Eugen Graf @ Sep 9 2008, 04:20 AM)

Thank you, I don't need it more, I found an another hierarchy for my ranking system. But I found following education levels, if it's interesting to all:

Newcomer

Accepted to KinderGarden

Primary school student

Secondary school student

High school student

Freshman

Sophomore

Junior

Senior

Graduate

Postdoc (PhD)

Adjunct Professor

Associate Professor

Professor

Professor Emeritus

Regards, Eugen

Is there a reason that you need exactly 15 levels? In your list you break out the Bachelors into separate years, but you do not do the same for the high school student.

Also across North America secondary school is somewhat synonymous with high school. Usually high school is grades 9-12/13, while secondary school is anything after primary school, i.e. grades 5-12/13. You may want to use Middle School which commonly is grades 5-8, and Elementary School (Grades 1-4).

Are you trying to list the current process someone is in, or the highest level of degree they have achieved?

For consistency Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior should be combined into 'Undergraduate Student'.

Graduate should be 'Graduate Student'. Which really combines Masters and PhD students.