Horizontal Scrolling hotkey

If you're using the auto-tool, you can temporarily switch to the pan tool by holding down ctrl+shift. I think this doesn't work without the auto-tool, but I'm not sure.

Of course, NI could also use the reasonably standard method of pressing the mouse wheel to change to pan mode, but that wouldn't work on the Mac. Then again, no one* really cares about the Mac. That'll teach them to make proper mice. ;)

P.S. This is far from the first time anyone asked for this, but if you want NI to actually see it, you should send it to their product suggestion center.

* Statistically speaking. Does not apply to LV R&D engineers and LAVA admins with the ability to do bad things to my account. Valid only in the U.S. and Canada.

QUOTE (Yair @ Nov 20 2008, 02:28 PM)

If you're using the auto-tool, you can temporarily switch to the pan tool by holding down ctrl+shift. I think this doesn't work without the auto-tool, but I'm not sure.

Of course, NI could also use the reasonably standard method of pressing the mouse wheel to change to pan mode, but that wouldn't work on the Mac. Then again, no one* really cares about the Mac. That'll teach them to make proper mice. ;)

P.S. This is far from the first time anyone asked for this, but if you want NI to actually see it, you should send it to their product suggestion center.

* Statistically speaking. Does not apply to LV R&D engineers and LAVA admins with the ability to do bad things to my account. Valid only in the U.S. and Canada.

Oooo, neat trick. It does require auto-tool, but I'm a fan anyway.

If they were to implement something with the middle click, I'd rather it lock the BD/FP to your cursor and moving the mouse moves the whole shebang -- rather than the MS Word-style offset-equals-speed nonsense.

Just some friendly advice: I would add "void where prohibited" to your disclaimer as well. Just in case.

• 6 months later...

Labview has a surprising amount of fit and finish, but the lack of a handy horizontal scroll is large oversight considering the amount of scrolling needed. implementing h-scroll would be ideal, but giving us any two hotkeys that we could at least re-map to h-scroll would be ok with me. Come on NI, make it happen.

QUOTE (atilio @ May 27 2009, 02:56 PM)

Can you clarify what you mean by "considering the amount of scrolling needed"?

QUOTE (Yair @ Nov 20 2008, 03:28 PM)

* Statistically speaking. Does not apply to
LV
R&D engineers and LAVA admins with the ability to do bad things to my account. Valid only in the U.S. and Canada.

I can't speak for any of the other mods or admins, but I'm pretty sure your account is safe. ...for now.

QUOTE (atilio @ May 27 2009, 02:56 PM)

... the lack of a handy horizontal scroll is large oversight considering the amount of scrolling needed...

All scrolling should be disabled in LV. That's the only way we can ensure diagrams stay a reasonable size. :shifty:

QUOTE (PaulG. @ May 27 2009, 04:01 PM)

All scrolling should be disabled in LV. That's the only way we can ensure diagrams stay a reasonable size. :shifty:

I'm okay with scrolling, as long as there's a reason for it, and it's in only one direction. I don't think diagram size is a strong enough reason on it's own for modularization.

QUOTE (crelf @ May 28 2009, 06:38 AM)

I'm okay with scrolling, as long as there's a reason for it, and it's in only one direction. I don't think diagram size is a strong enough reason on it's own for modularization.

True but some people like their diagram in horizontal direction instead of vertical. I find that it is easier for me to read through code horizontally (however there is only a few vis that bigger than 1 screen). Bottom line: it's just an option for user so NI should considering it. It does not harm anyone and does bring in some convenient for many people outthere.

For those who dont bother to wait for NI, i recommend to upgrade your mouse to "Mighty Mouse" :yes: as shown:

I'm definitely in the "keep it all to one screen" camp, but sometimes it just can't be done without over-artificially breaking up code. In that case, I much prefer to grow horizontally. Most of us do read from left to right, after all. And LabVIEW pushes us in this direction with its horizontal sequences. Maybe those of you who like to grow vertically should put in a suggestion to NI for a vertical sequence.

However, I regularly deal with data files with large headers. My 70+ node clusters require a lot of vertical room (on my little laptop screen, anyway). Maybe I should put in a suggestion to NI for horizontal cluster bundling... :)

QUOTE (Yair @ Nov 21 2008, 01:28 AM)

What is this auto-tool you geeks keep referring to. Will you point me to its (download and documentation) location.

Thanks a lot!

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ May 27 2009, 10:50 PM)

While it doesn't do horizontal scrolling, there's no way I'd ever abandon my glorious trackball:

228.1.0.jpg

QUOTE (Rashid Malik @ May 28 2009, 08:12 AM)

What is this auto-tool you geeks keep referring to. Will you point me to its (download and documentation) location.

Thanks a lot!

It's formally known as the automatic tool selector and you can find it by shift+right-clicking the diagram and clicking the crossed wrench and screwdriver on that palette which pops up.

QUOTE (asbo @ May 28 2009, 05:37 PM)

you can find it by shift+right-clicking the diagram and clicking the crossed wrench and screwdriver on that palette which pops up.

Or simply Shift+Tab. Useful when you manually change the tool and want to go back.

You probably want to go over the help topic about keyboard shortcuts for the ones you don't know.

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ May 27 2009, 10:50 PM)

Oh yeah - I totally agree.

QUOTE (Cat @ May 28 2009, 07:22 AM)

Most of us do read from left to right, after all.

Actually, most of us read left to right and top to bottom - I don't think that we can have one without the other, as reading is really a 2 dimensional process (unless, of course, you're only reading one line of text). What you're talking about is "vision path" and is a really important element of intuative user interface design - you can read more about it here.

QUOTE (crelf @ May 28 2009, 10:52 AM)

I agree. I read your comment: "I'm okay with scrolling, as long as there's a reason for it, and it's in only one direction. " and was thinking out loud that if we were stuck with one direction, it might be more intuitive to do it horizontally.

I've read your tech articles on UI design and they've been very helpful. But they are for the FP, the actual user interface, yes? Tho, one might argue that while we're coding, the block diagrams *are* the user interface. :)

QUOTE (Cat @ May 28 2009, 11:18 AM)

Gotcha. I think it depends - if your code is sequential, then horizontal makes the most sense, but if it's parallel, then vertical might be better.

QUOTE (Cat @ May 28 2009, 11:18 AM)

I've read your tech articles on UI design and they've been very helpful. But they are for the FP, the actual user interface, yes? Tho, one might argue that while we're coding, the block diagrams *are* the user interface.
:)

I'm glad someone has read it :D Seriously though, I'm glad you've found them helpful. I've been meaning to move it all over to the LabVIEWwiki, but haven't been able to find the time :(

You're right - the block diagram can certainly be thought of as a UI, and a lot (but not all) of the concepts that we try to apply to the FP to increase intuativity can certainly be appliued to the BD as well. One of my pet hates is a great FP backed by a horrible BD: often we consider our users to only be those who interact with the FPs, but forget the other class of user: those who will need to maintain and grow our software in the future. Clean code isn't just a style thing, it's functional too.

• 14 years later...