Turn on Light using USB 6008 card

Minh Pham

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ Dec 19 2008, 11:54 PM)

Just wondering if I can use USB6008 to turn on/off light in my room through LabVIEW?

Should I use a transformer to convert the 5V output to my desired voltage of 240 (Australia) ??

You would need to use the 5V output to control an external relay which switches on and off the 240V for the light. You can not simply pass the 5V through a transformer.

You could use he NI ER8/16 or a SSR digital module for the external relay.

QUOTE (Minh Pham @ Dec 20 2008, 01:51 AM)

You need a relay that can handle the current draw of your light. i.e. If you have a 100W light and are supplying it with 240V it will draw .42A.(P=VI). I would also make sure you follow your local electrical code when wiring it up.

Dan

QUOTE (ASTDan @ Dec 20 2008, 09:38 AM)

I would also make sure you follow your local electrical code when wiring it up.

I don't know what state you're in Minh, but if it's NSW then the local electrical code requires you to be a licenses electrician to alter the wiring in your home. Not that that stopped me from doing so when I lived there :shifty:

• 4 weeks later...

On the way you ask your question, and the question itself,

I see you absolutely don't have the basics of electricity, like AC/DC, power, safety etc.

This will surely lead to dangerous situations.

For me, the best way to go for you, is:

Install a remote controlled dimmer, or let it install, following the included instructions.

http://www.ryness.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=2074

Also buy the controller for such a dimmer:

http://www.ryness.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=3806

Now you can experiment on the controller, it's the safe site.

You can open the remote control, as it's battery operated, it's low voltage.

Here you can replace a switch with a contact of your USB-DAQ module.

You will have an expense of +-30 dollars. Depending of your age this can be a lot of money,

but compare it to the value of a burned house, where the insurance refuses payment, or a death.

Succes with your projects !

QUOTE (RalcoBe @ Jan 13 2009, 03:07 AM)

You can open the remote control, as it's battery operated, it's low voltage.

A Taser is battery powered and it can produce over 100,000 volts! Make sure your remote control doesn't have any anti-tampering circuitry built in :ninja:

I would like to turn on/off a power switch of the Yaesu G-5500 rotor controller using Labview. A 6 Amp 125 VAC DPST switch is used to turn it on manually. Can someone help me to get started or post a figure with the setup? I would really appreciate all your help. Looking forward to your reply avidly.

Thanks,

Prasanna