Menu Launch vi and projects

I am having trouble using the App.MenuLaunchVI property (super secret, I think).

The problem is with projects. When called by a VI launched from the Tools menu of a project window, the property returns "_ProjectWindowX" where X is some number.

I cannot find a way to use that string to get a reference/path to the project window in question.

Right now, if I see "_ProjectWindow" at the front of the string, I handle it differently than other type of files, and just get a list of project references in memory, then pull the first one off the top (this only works because I usually only have 1 project in memory). But this is obviously a bad way to do it.

any ideas? Ultimately what I am looking for is a way to get the Project Ref from a VI launched via its menu.

I am having trouble using the App.MenuLaunchVI property (super secret, I think).

The problem is with projects. When called by a VI launched from the Tools menu of a project window, the property returns "_ProjectWindowX" where X is some number.

I cannot find a way to use that string to get a reference/path to the project window in question.

Right now, if I see "_ProjectWindow" at the front of the string, I handle it differently than other type of files, and just get a list of project references in memory, then pull the first one off the top (this only works because I usually only have 1 project in memory). But this is obviously a bad way to do it.

any ideas? Ultimately what I am looking for is a way to get the Project Ref from a VI launched via its menu.

QUOTE (jed @ Jan 16 2009, 11:35 AM)

You can use the ActiveProject property of the MenuLaunchApp. If this is a null ref, then you know it wasn't launched from a project.

QUOTE (jed @ Jan 16 2009, 11:35 AM)

You can use the ActiveProject property of the MenuLaunchApp. If this is a null ref, then you know it wasn't launched from a project.

QUOTE (jed @ Jan 16 2009, 08:35 PM)

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Jan 16 2009, 09:35 PM)

These both methods are used in a chain in the OpenG builder. First th check is done on the name, then the active project is opened.

Good luck,

Ton

QUOTE (jed @ Jan 16 2009, 08:35 PM)

QUOTE (Jim Kring @ Jan 16 2009, 09:35 PM)

These both methods are used in a chain in the OpenG builder. First th check is done on the name, then the active project is opened.

Good luck,

Ton

QUOTE (jed @ Jan 19 2009, 02:19 PM)

Aha. Why do they return the place in the list rather than the name? Can you have two projects with the same name open at the same time?

Can you? I wouldn't think so... probably results in a Conflict.

But as Jim pointed out, if you take the App.ActiveProj instead, you can get it's name directly.