DB Connectivity Tools - ODBCCP32.DLL

Hi.

I'm working with the DB Connectivity Tools. I want to do exe-file from my VI, and I've got problem. I need add database file (MS Access file) to ODBC system source in LabView, and if it's possible create datalink in LV (without using Tools->Create Datalink). Somebody advices me to use the odbccp32.dll and the SQLConfigDataSource function, but it doesn't work. I put my VI in the attachment. Maybe somebody helps me ?

I normally use a udl-file.

(create a empty text file and rename it to something.udl , and then double click on it)

My software reads this UDL/Text file and grabs the Provider string from it.

E.g.

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=Production;Data Source=MYSERVER

The file is unicode and so you have to strip off all NULL-characters.

If the file don't exists I start by creating it by just writing this Unicode-text file.

Cheers,

Mikael

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (CzaroK @ Feb 24 2009, 11:10 AM)

Hi.

I'm working with the DB Connectivity Tools. I want to do exe-file from my VI, and I've got problem. I need add database file (MS Access file) to ODBC system source in LabView, and if it's possible create datalink in LV (without using Tools->Create Datalink). Somebody advices me to use the odbccp32.dll and the SQLConfigDataSource function, but it doesn't work. I put my VI in the attachment. Maybe somebody helps me ?

There are a few caveats with this for sure. First you can not add a System ODBC Data Source if you do not have administrator or at least power user rights. So I doubt this is what you want to do in a built executable.

Also you can simply format the parameters that would otherwise be created with the ODBC Data Source Manager dialog into a string and pass that string to the Open Database function as connection string, instead of a name to an ODBC data source. To see what you would need to put in a string you can basically configure on your development machine such a datasource through the ODBC manager and then fgo into the registry and look at the keys in the section for your data source in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI for user data sources and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI for system data sources.

You basically just put each value in there in a format <keyname>=<keyvalue> and separate each such expression with a semicolon and you should be fine. No need to create a Data Source and you can even format the actual path to your .mdb file no matter where you have it installed.

Rolf Kalbermatter