Ping with -t parameter

Hey, trying to ping a computer using this http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...=235762#M235762 . Any ideas on how to make it ping continously? I tried "ping www.google.com -t" , problem is it gets stuck in sys exec, it won't pass the results further on (waiting for the final output). Any ideas?  Thanks.

Later Edit : I replaced -t with -n, now it's pinging the host for the number of times put in, but i really want to make it run continuously.

QUOTE (n00bzor @ Mar 4 2009, 12:44 PM)

Hey, trying to ping a computer using this http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...=235762#M235762 . Any ideas on how to make it ping continously? I tried "ping www.google.com -t" , problem is it gets stuck in sys exec, it won't pass the results further on (waiting for the final output). Any ideas? Thanks.

Later Edit : I replaced -t with -n, now it's pinging the host for the number of times put in, but i really want to make it run continuously.

Hi,

What is this parameter : "-t" for the ping command ?

Is it not a mistake ? As you can see here, there is no "-t" for ping command.. maybe you need -f, no ?

Hope this helps

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Mar 4 2009, 07:00 AM)

What is this parameter : "-t" for the ping command ?

I think -t is a windows specific parameter.

C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>ping -?Usage: ping [-t] [-a] [-n count] [-l size] [-f] [-i TTL] [-v TOS]            [-r count] [-s count] [[-j host-list] | [-k host-list]]            [-w timeout] target_nameOptions:    -t             Ping the specified host until stopped.                   To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break;                   To stop - type Control-C.    -a             Resolve addresses to hostnames.    -n count       Number of echo requests to send.    -l size        Send buffer size.    -f             Set Don't Fragment flag in packet.    -i TTL         Time To Live.    -v TOS         Type Of Service.    -r count       Record route for count hops.    -s count       Timestamp for count hops.    -j host-list   Loose source route along host-list.    -k host-list   Strict source route along host-list.    -w timeout     Timeout in milliseconds to wait for each reply.

The reason it doesn't work from LabVIEW is that it the system exec.vi will wait until ping completes; it doesn't complete until you press a key to end the ping.

I think you will need to use the -n parameter in a loop or find a different implimentation of ping.

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Mar 4 2009, 01:29 PM)

I think -t is a windows specific parameter.

C:\Documents and Settings\Phil>ping -?Usage: ping [-t] [-a] [-n count] [-l size] [-f] [-i TTL] [-v TOS]            [-r count] [-s count] [[-j host-list] | [-k host-list]]            [-w timeout] target_nameOptions:    -t             Ping the specified host until stopped.                   To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break;                   To stop - type Control-C.    -a             Resolve addresses to hostnames.    -n count       Number of echo requests to send.    -l size        Send buffer size.    -f             Set Don't Fragment flag in packet.    -i TTL         Time To Live.    -v TOS         Type Of Service.    -r count       Record route for count hops.    -s count       Timestamp for count hops.    -j host-list   Loose source route along host-list.    -k host-list   Strict source route along host-list.    -w timeout     Timeout in milliseconds to wait for each reply.

Oh.. Indeed.. sorry I thought it was a typo, but no.QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Mar 4 2009, 01:29 PM)

The reason it doesn't work from LabVIEW is that it the system exec.vi will wait until ping completes; it doesn't complete until you press a key to end the ping.I think you will need to use the -n parameter in a loop or find a different implimentation of ping.

Well, the SystemExec.vi has a input parameter "wait until completion? (T)" just set it to False and that should be fine.

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Mar 4 2009, 04:10 PM)

It has to do with calculating the delay between two computers, i'm trying to do it using the delay from ping. -t is indeed a windows specific command, it pings the host until stopped.Thanx guys, i'll try it and get back to you. I'm not tring to flood anyone :)  so relax.

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Mar 4 2009, 02:37 PM)

Well, the SystemExec.vi has a input parameter "
wait until completion? (T)
" just set it to False and that should be fine.

Tried that, didn't seem to work, i guess i'll have to stick to using -n and a loop, although i get a lot of overhead because of this(this is part of a much larger program)

You can use this method. This is a direct call method using the winsock library. It works well and you can put it into a loop. However, BE CAREFUL if you do use this in a loop. If you don't introduce any delay you can easily flood the receiving device with ping requests. I do wish that NI would add a native ping to LabVIEW.

QUOTE (Mark Yedinak @ Mar 4 2009, 05:44 PM)

You can use this http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=70801' target="_blank">method. This is a direct call method using the winsock library. It works well and you can put it into a loop. However, BE CAREFUL if you do use this in a loop. If you don't introduce any delay you can easily flood the receiving device with ping requests. I do wish that NI would add a native ping to LabVIEW.

Ok, thanks a lot, i'll try that one too.