HOW TO START GOOP PRGAMMING

hi all,

actually i want to start goop programming is anyone help me regarding that

beacause i know the labview basic progaamming........

FYI, object oriented programming using native Labview classes is typically referred to as "LVOOP." When people say "GOOP" they usually mean Sciware's code generating toolkit, GOOP Developer. Using the accepted terminology will help avoid confusion when you come back with more questions. :)

FYI, object oriented programming using native Labview classes is typically referred to as "LVOOP." When people say "GOOP" they usually mean Sciware's code generating toolkit, GOOP Developer. Using the accepted terminology will help avoid confusion when you come back with more questions.

To further assist in avoid confusion (or creating more of it), "GOOP" is a registered trademark of the Endevo corporation, and is usually only used when refering to their implementation of by-ref OOP in LabVIEW. I'm not sure if Sciware's "GOOP Developer" actually develops GOOP, or a different LabVIEW OO implementation.

There are, of course, many implmentations of OO in LabVIEW:

• VISTA Class Generator (V I Engineering, Inc - the first OOP implmentation AFAIK)
  • GOOP (Endevo - the real powerhouse in OOP in LabVIEW for many years)
  • LVOOP (NI - the by-val implementation that comes with LabVIEW 8.2 and higher)
  • dqGOOP (DataAct - fast and has little footprint, but I've never tried it for inheritance)
  • OpenGOOP (OpenG - open source implmentation)
  • GOOP Developer (SciWare - never tried it, don't know anything about it)
  • more...?

Also, Endevo have OO tools that help you manage your OO in LabVIEW (whether it's LVOOP or GOOP - in fact, the latest version of GOOP is really a by-ref implementation of LVOOP - how cool is that?) with their GOOP toolkit and UML modeller (you can create UML and it will automatically build the classes for you, and vice versa!)

I think the next release of LabVIEW might make things even more interesting (if used appropriatley - that'll be the real challenge...)

• Like 1

I think of Endevo when I hear GOOP.

Hmm... could be I was mixing up my OOP implementations. Go figure.

I think the next release of LabVIEW might make things even more interesting (if used appropriatley - that'll be the real challenge...)

Oh come on... don't leave me hanging like that... frusty.gif Interfaces? Mixins? Multiple inheritance? Friend classes? Hopefully there's more than just the extension onto... uhh... different run time platforms.

(You know you want to tell me Chris... it'll just be between me and you... I won't tell a soul.) ph34r.gif

Hopefully there's more than just the extension onto... uhh... different run time platforms.

What? That's not enough for you?!?!

Actually, it's about something that's being added that can be applied to VLOOP, but, as Stephen says, you'll have to wait a few more days smile.gif So, this will make no sense for another week or so: while this technique is certainly cool, it should only be used when appropriate! Just because you can doesn't mean you should. We clear? Good.

• GOOP Developer (SciWare - never tried it, don't know anything about it)

Awww, not even worth a look at Chris. :unsure:

To further assist in avoid confusion (or creating more of it), "GOOP" is a registered trademark of the Endevo corporation, and is usually only used when refering to their implementation of by-ref OOP in LabVIEW.

At the time I had no idea that “GOOP” was a registered trademark of Endevo. I found out later that it’s was a registered trademark in Sweden when I worked with the guy who developed Endevo GDS. I did think of changing the name to POOP (PrettyCool Object Oriented Programming) but it didn’t have the same ring about it. ;)

I'm not sure if Sciware's "GOOP Developer" actually develops GOOP, or a different LabVIEW OO implementation.

Basically GOOP Developer is a code generation wizard and class manager that builds your classes from Open Source OOP Templates. It doesn’t implement LVOOP because they were developed before then, but they support Inheritance, Active Objects and you can run it on RT platforms.

In my opinion, considering that LVOOP has come along way since it was initially introduced, my recommendation is that you take a look at Endevo's GDS, it’s beautifully implemented. I’ve had the privilege of contributing to a design pattern for Active Objects and to some of the mechanics of data locking.

Hi

Regarding the GDS, I've created some videos of how to use it and how to get started with OO.

These videos haven't been officially released but could been accessed here at the moment.

www.goop.endevo.net/GDS/videos/GDSFeatures

www.goop.endevo.net/GDS/videos/GettingStarted

www.goop.endevo.net/GDS/videos/DesignPatterns

www.goop.endevo.net/GDS/videos/StateMachine

www.goop.endevo.net/GDS/videos/Debugger

Cheers,

Mikael