Need a small font for icons or other details?

Kudos to someone named Miha who created The Flea's Knees font and posted it in her blog for all the world to use.

In this font, all the alphanumeric characters in the plain roman face are no more than 4 pixels wide, yet surprisingly readable. Then she gives us italic, bold and bold italic forms! The font takes advantage of subpixel coloration. There's no font file that you can install to type in this font (because it is a full-color font, the normal type interfaces don't work right), but perhaps someone will want to extend the icon editor to allow typing in this font. Here's the finalized images from Miha:

In fact, very nice. However it only works for LCD screens, and not all of them - those with RGB-RGB pixel scheme (most of LCD screens)

Even without bifocals (hell, I don't even have ONE level of focus), I agree with Ben. To paraphrase Altenbach, "if your problem can be solved by making the font smaller, the problem exists elsewhere". In this case, the environment needs to solve the problem of how to easily create recognizable VIs.

In this case, the environment needs to solve the problem of how to easily create recognizable VIs.

Not just recognizable, but meaningful. The glyphs provided in the editor are a great start, but more often than not I still revert to text for clarity. It's hard to find a combination of glyphs that accurately convey what the vi does.

------------

I propose we map each word in the english language to a 2 pixel combination. Each pixel has 256 possible values. We'll knock it down to 200 to remove those colors that are too hard to differentiate. That still leaves us with 40,000 combinations, more than enough to cover most people's known words. Each icon has an internal area of 30x30, or 900 pixels. That gives us 450 words to describe what the vi does. Should do the trick, doncha think? ;)

It's hard to find a combination of glyphs that accurately convey what the vi does.

I said it before, but I'll say it again, since AQ likes bringing up the localization issue - an icon with more than two (or three) glyphs is completely meaningless to me. Text is easier to create and (for me) easier to read, at least if it's large enough.

I propose we map each word in the english language to a 2 pixel combination...

Better yet, if you embed a Piet compiler into LabVIEW, you can now have your icons have extra code as well as the name. Excellent!

P.S. I don't know if Mondrian's work is art or not, but I like it.

I propose we map each word in the english language to a 2 pixel combination. Each pixel has 256 possible values. We'll knock it down to 200 to remove those colors that are too hard to differentiate. ....

Give me one good reason why the world needs more than 16 colors?

[/Colour challenged]

P.S. I don't know if Mondrian's work is art or not, but I like it.

At least the queen Beatrix of the Netherlands agrees with you. (she made the Netherlands buy Victory Boogie Woogie)

Ton

Give me one good reason why the world needs more than 16 colors?

[/Colour challenged]

At least the queen Beatrix of the Netherlands agrees with you. (she made the Netherlands buy Victory Boogie Woogie)

Ton

Dilbert walks into Dogberts office and asks;

"Do you notice anything differnt about me today"

Dogbert replies;

"Yes you have three pens instead of two, one of each of the primary colors."

Dilbert replies;

"There are secondary colors?"

Original by Scott Adams of course and retold via the questionalbe memory of an old guy that wears a pocket protector.

Ben