DropBox

crelf

So I finally isgned up for a DropBox account - I don't know how I ever survived without it!

Dropbox isa Web-based file hosting service operated by Dropbox, Inc. that uses cloud computing to enable users to store and share files and folders with others across the Internet using file synchronization... There are both free and paid services, each with varying options. In comparison to similar services, Dropbox offers a relatively large number of user clients across a variety of desktop and mobile operating systems. There are a total of 10 clients, including versions for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux (official and unofficial), as well as versions for mobile devices, such as Android, iPhone, iPad and BlackBerry, and a web-based client for when no local client is installed. Dropbox uses the Freemium financial model and its free service provides 2 GB of free online storage.

There's also a simple iPhone/iPod app to view your DropBox. :thumbup1:

I has posted last year asking if anyone had experience with DropBox's underlying system; Amzon's S3. I think a form of DropBox would be great as a repository for test results.

Our current solution uses private hosting and a transfer app to upload and store XML data via web based protocols. We don't have to store the data in house, or punch a hole or set up a VPN in our CM's network to transfer data. The product we use is SigmaQuest, which was recently purchased by Camstar. It is much more than a repository for test data, but thats our primary use.

SigmaQuest is a little rough around the edges, but it seems to be geared more towards high volume processing. We are more of a lower volume/high mix manufacturer and need debug and repair functions that are present (with our help) but a bit buggy and lacking in report features.

I think it would be great if there was a form of DropBox that could replicate an ATEs test reports folder to a common DropBox folder without copying it back to every other ATE. Some web guys with statistics experience could write an Amazon hosted app that would process and perform calculations like first pass yield and average times.

(duplicate conversation with crelf in the office but hey who cares)

I've seen DropBox before but I've been hooked on Live Mesh by Microsoft. You can add machines to your account, then sync folders up (so changing a file on one changes it on the other) and then you can also tie it to your SkyDrive (cloud storage) which is 5GB for free. It uses your live account which is tied to my Xbox Live profile, so I just sign in with my already made credentials. As an added bonus there is a remote desktop client, so you can remote into any machine you have syncing with files. I think it uses standard rdp but no idea, it just seems to work well.

When Live Mesh was in beta it worked on smart phones and Mac computers but now that it is released I don't know what it works with.

I use the Iphone app for dropbox but I wish it would allow for multiple selection uploads :unsure:

p

There's also a simple iPhone/iPod app to view your DropBox. :thumbup1:

I has posted last year asking if anyone had experience with DropBox's underlying system; Amzon's S3. I think a form of DropBox would be great as a repository for test results.

Our current solution uses private hosting and a transfer app to upload and store XML data via web based protocols. We don't have to store the data in house, or punch a hole or set up a VPN in our CM's network to transfer data. The product we use is SigmaQuest, which was recently purchased by Camstar. It is much more than a repository for test data, but thats our primary use.

SigmaQuest is a little rough around the edges, but it seems to be geared more towards high volume processing. We are more of a lower volume/high mix manufacturer and need debug and repair functions that are present (with our help) but a bit buggy and lacking in report features.

I think it would be great if there was a form of DropBox that could replicate an ATEs test reports folder to a common DropBox folder without copying it back to every other ATE. Some web guys with statistics experience could write an Amazon hosted app that would process and perform calculations like first pass yield and average times.