labview with fpga

pravinspidy

hi.. guys

i am doing a project in labview ...( HMI) which controls the machine.. user interface..

now what i need is i want to communicate the pc labview with FPGA  some standard communication  protocol...  

it should be faster.... (because i want to do frame grabbing the raw data)

reliable, less hardware , multi slave interface... less communication error... etc so kindly guys give some good suggestions...

Are you talking about using LabVIEW FPGA talking to a host LabVIEW program running on Windows? Or are you talking about a generic FPGA talking to a host LabVIEW program running on Windows?

If you are programming an FPGA with LabVIEW, talking to your Windows based LabVIEW program is very easy using a DMA buffer. If you have the FPGA toolkit for LabVIEW installed, then you should have the examples in Example Finder, that shows how to setup and use a DMA buffer of data. Just search for DMA.. The other normal way of getting data from LabVIEW FPGA to a host us from reading the indicators on the front panel of the FPGA code. This is slower and is a single shot read so I don't think this is what you are looking for.

If you are talking about a generic FPGA talking to LabVIEW, I have no input because I've never needed to do that.

Are you talking about using LabVIEW FPGA talking to a host LabVIEW program running on Windows?  Or are you talking about a generic FPGA talking to a host LabVIEW program running on Windows?

If you are programming an FPGA with LabVIEW, talking to your Windows based LabVIEW program is very easy using a DMA buffer.  If you have the FPGA toolkit for LabVIEW installed, then you should have the examples in Example Finder, that shows how to setup and use a DMA buffer of data.  Just search for DMA..  The other normal way of getting data from LabVIEW FPGA to a host us from reading the indicators on the front panel of the FPGA code.  This is slower and is a single shot read so I don't think this is what you are looking for.

If you are talking about a generic FPGA talking to LabVIEW, I have no input because I've never needed to do that.

thanks for ur response sir

i am looking for 

generic FPGA talking to a host LabVIEW program running on Windows?   

some standard communicatons like CAN , USB ,RS485 ETC..

Edited by pravinspidy

There are FPGAs out there with built in UARTs (or at least an easy interface to one). Using this, I have communicated with FPGAs in our UUT (unit under test) using a simple RS-232 serial port. Other option I have personally done is RS-422. I'm not sure what kind of data rate you need, but these are simple to control (using VISA) and the hardware is cheap (RS-232 port often built into a motherboard).

There are FPGAs out there with built in UARTs (or at least an easy interface to one).  Using this, I have communicated with FPGAs in our UUT (unit under test) using a simple RS-232 serial port.  Other option I have personally done is RS-422.  I'm not sure what kind of data rate you need, but these are simple to control (using VISA) and the hardware is cheap (RS-232 port often built into a motherboard).

thanks for ur reply sir

sir actually i tried with fpga through  Rs232 i am not that much familiar with vhdl language.. anyway i was done a code for uart referring some example code from.. opencores.com.  still now iam struggling with code....  

data rate is 115200bps

I'm not a VHDL programmer either. I know just enough to be able to read it...maybe. I just had to interface with other people's FPGAs and microcontrollers that are in the units I had to test. RS-232 was the bus of choice and it proved to work well.