Dear all,

I successfully passed my CLD just a few weeks ago at NIWeek and will attempt the CLA on September 10th. I did a lot of research, attended the session on the CLA preparation, and won't bother you with the usual basic questions, I think I have a good understanding of what is expected.

However, there are two things I'd like your help with:

1) Requirement tag: I never used them and I'm amazed by how little information there is online. Where do you put them:

- BD: Free labels, wire labels

- FB: Free labels, free labels inside a cluster

- Documentation inside VI Properties

- Others?

2) Error Handling: I must admit I lack experience and knowledge about how to create an error handling module, let alone a good one! In my past projects, each module and sub-module was always performing its own error handling... Could you point me to a few different techniques and examples? I'd like to get a good understanding of what is expected from such a module. If I only look at the one from the sample exam, I'm afraid I will just try to memorize and recreate it and it's not what I want to do...

I'll start working on the sample exams and will likely post my solution here to ask for some feedback.

Thanks  :book:

• Like 1

1. The requirement tags are just free labels with the right text in them.  You can also put them in the VI and control descriptions if you want.

2. I would just use a queue to send the error information to your error handling module.  It is simple and quick to do.

But I now have to put out a shameless plug: Certification Nugget: CLA

I wrote the elevator practice exam this morning. I'm not super content with my performance, and will definitely need to do better at the exam. The positive note is that it gave me a much better understanding of the format and the requirements. Even though I already knew I shouldn't code too much, I still did I think! The 4 hours just flew by so fast!

Anyhow, I would greatly appreciate your feedback. I stopped after exactly 4 hours, so it is quite incomplete. I inserted a tab in front of each requirement that I placed. I placed 80 of them over the 90 the files contains.

Of course it's hard to tell, but do you think I would have passed or failed?

Thanks

Emmanuel

CLA Elevator Exam EB.zip

I made a second attempt at the elevator. I wrote it after watching a video from Muun doing the exam with the Model View Controller (without OOP) (https://www.reddit.com/r/LabVIEW/comments/3939jy/postlive_cla_practice_exam/). I tried to implement a simple version of the MVC by creating a central model that stores all queue and event refs across the application. I also added proper wrapping API for the messages to send, but the API still takes the queue or event references as input, so each caller still needs to pass the reference. I was doing this a third time (which I won't!), I would put the 'get model' inside each VI of the message API, so the callers of the API don't need to pass the references...

I'd be happy to get some feedback before I try the ATM exam practice in a few days. Thanks!

CLA Elevator Exam EB_try2.zip

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DigDoug
      CLA_ATM_QMH_PRACTICE.zipHi Folks,

I'm taking the CLA exam in a few weeks and would like some feedback on the solution I put together (attached). A few specific questions:
      Can I dump tags in the VI Documentation of the VI like I did in Error Handler - Console Error.vi and get credit since there are instructions for developers to complete this work? This would be my strategy if I run out of time. 
      Does this seem like a passing solution? Why/why not?
      Where do you think I would lose the most points in this solution?
      Any other feedback on this exam or general strategy tips are greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
      Aaron
    • By SIGMADESIGN_US
      LabVIEW Software Developer

SIGMADESIGN is a fun, fast-paced engineering consulting company currently experiencing explosive growth.  We are looking for a LabVIEW Software Developer. Curiosity, competency and confidence are a must. We offer competitive compensation (DOE), Medical, Dental, and Short Term Disability insurance, a retirement plan, and profit sharing. We also offer Voluntary Benefits: Vision, Long Term Disability, and Term Life insurance.

Primary Function:

Definition and programming of LabVIEW based software. Duties include: designing, developing, installation, and debug of custom LabVIEW based applications for a variety of monitoring, measurement, and control systems.    Systems will incorporate a variety of technologies (DAQ, machine vision, motion, FPGA & real-time control, etc.) with application across a broad range of industries.

Essential Job Functions - Responsibilities:

·         Develop and maintain LabVIEW applications for control and data acquisition across a wide range of test and measurement systems.

·         Interpret and understand control specification documents, P&ID drawings, wiring diagrams, and schematics.

·         Utilize National Instruments data acquisition hardware, off-the-shelf test equipment, and custom developed hardware.

·         Troubleshoot software and electrical control issues and define and/or implement solutions.

·         Support, improve and modify existing LabVIEW applications as necessary.

·         Create and maintain documentation, version control history, and bug tracking for LabVIEW applications in coordination with engineering and technician teams.

Required Education, Skills, and Experience: (Knowledge, skills, & abilities)

·         CLD (Certified LabVIEW Developer) certification or above is required.

·         5+ years LabVIEW application development experience with demonstrated proficiency.

·         Experience with NI DAQmx, NI VISA drivers, and supported protocols (GPIB, RS232/RS485, TCP/IP).

·         Experience with at least one version control system and an issue tracking system.

·         Attention to detail in design, programming, debug, and documentation work.

·         Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.

·         Ability to plan work and accomplish objectives with minimum of direction.

·         Strong written and verbal English language communication skills.

Additional Desirable Skills, Education, and Experience:

·         CLA (Certified LabVIEW Architect) certification highly desirable.

·         Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field highly desirable.

·         LabVIEW Real-time and FPGA Programming experience.

·         LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming experience.

·         Experience with developing Motion and Vision applications.

·         Experience with CAN and Modbus network protocols.

·         Familiar with basic relational database concepts.

·         Linux OS administration and shell scripting experience.

·         Experience with Matlab and Simulink.

·         Additional software skills (C/C++, PHP, Python, etc.).

·         LabVIEW for calling external code (dll, COM objects, ActiveX, .NET, etc.)

·         Translation of source code from various languages (VB, C, C++, C#, Python) into LabVIEW code.

·         Calling VIs dynamically.

·         Experience with LabVIEW version 2012 or newer.

·         Pass a post-offer background check verification.

·         Complete Pre-Employment Assessment required: Begin Assessment

In addition to submitting your application, please complete the Pre-Employment Assessment to be considered for this position.

Work Environment:

Standard office environment with normal amounts of office related conditions. Occasionally may be required to work in environmental conditions that emulate typical user environments in order to facilitate design testing and validation. 

Sigma Design - Corporate Fact Sheet.pdf
    • By proximal
      Hi, I'm a Certified LabVIEW Architect seeking new contract work. I am based in the Austin, Texas area, and can travel within the US or overseas if needed. As a former NI employee, I have extensive experience creating large LabVIEW applications for test and measurement systems. Areas of expertise include LabVIEW, LabVIEW RT and FPGA, NI Vision, C, C++, C#, PXI, cDAQ, cRIO, sbRIO, GPIB, and more.  Please email me at nathan@proximalcorp.com for more information. Thank you!

• By Manudelavega
      I am attending the CLA summit for the first time next week. I'd just like to check if anybody here is going as well and if you'd be interested in meeting on Sunday evening and then heading to the Sunday night social together 
    • By PBD_ctrl
      ***BUMP*** this is still active

About Us:
      Draper is an independent, nonprofit research and development company headquartered in Cambridge, MA. The 1,500 employees of Draper tackle important national challenges with a promise of delivering successful and usable solutions. From military defense and space exploration to biomedical engineering, lives often depend on the solutions we provide. Our multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists work in a collaborative environment that inspires the cross-fertilization of ideas necessary for true innovation. For more information about Draper, visit www.draper.com.

The Position:
      This position seeks an engineer with a high proficiency in developing test software for Automated Test Equipment (ATE). Software development and testing support will be performed on a host of ATE platforms implemented for evaluation and test of precision instruments, mixed-signal electronic modules and systems used for guidance and navigation applications. 

The candidate will be expected to support various software assignments while adhering to formalized software development processes. This includes gathering and generating formal requirements, implementing software architectures and detailed designs, developing and executing formal test plans, and supporting the packaging and deployment of official releases for end-users. The candidate will be expected to maintain software documentation and manage bugs/problems through formal tracking systems.

The ability to work and succeed within a process-oriented setting is critical, as is the ability to thoroughly document and communicate one’s work. 

Job Requirements:
      Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering Degree is required. Candidate must have experience programming in LabView, TestStand or other industry standard test automation software. National Instruments certifications not required but beneficial (CLA, CLD, CLED). Previous experience integrating and developing ATE for mixed-signal hardware devices is desired, as well as familiarity with integrating and developing software for commercial test instrumentation – Data Acquisition Modules, PCI/PXI Instrumentation, Real Time Embedded Controllers, Communication Devices. The engineer will be part of a multi-disciplinary team and will require strong teamwork and interpersonal skills in this fast paced technology development environment.

This position requires US Citizenship and the ability to obtain a government security clearance.

Draper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.  All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or protected veteran status.  We understand the value of diversity and its impact on a high-performance culture.

How To Apply:

To view the job opening and apply, please follow the instructions listed below.

Logon to our website at https://jobs.draper.com; register, view the job opening, and apply.

6251 - Software Integration & Test Engineer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.