Hello

I am looking for a functional MQTT server client implementation for Labview. I have been doing some search, and found something, but they all seem to be unsupported. Does anyone have any pointers to a fully functional one? Is NI developing any stuff on this?

Thanks

Edited for correct content

Edited by bsvingen

You would not build a broker/server implementation in labview, you would use an off the shelf solution like mosquitto. I'm assuming you mean a client implementation.

For clients, the protocol is deliberately pretty simple, for low power devices, so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable using one of the labview implementations out there after testing it a little. If you don't feel comfortable, the real answer is to use one of mature C libraries. The ones I'm aware of are Paho and Mosqitto.

I believe both have synchronous APIs (eg call connect + block, call send + block, etc) which is usually OK for a simple application. For example, Paho's header (https://github.com/nivertech/paho.mqtt.c/blob/master/src/MQTTClient.h) has "MQTTClient_receive", a synchronous receive function, and "MQTTClient_messageArrived", a callback. 4 years ago I made a labview wrapper for the then-current async version of paho, but its obviously so out of date now I'm not even going to post it. The api is relatively easy to wrap -- for example, here is publish:

DLLExport int MQTTClient_publish(MQTTClient[void*] handle, char* topicName, int payloadlen, void* payload, int qos, int retained, MQTTClient_deliveryToken* dt);

Everything is either an opaque pointer or an int, making it easy to consume in any language you like. From the client header above, there is a full example and it looks like the hardest part would be constructing some of the options structures (eg replicating "MQTTClient_connectOptions_initializer", a macro, in labview).

Edited by smithd

Thanks. Yes, client implementation only is what I'm looking for (post edited). We are using RabbitMQ broker/server in a dedicated embedded PC. A pure Labview implementation is highly preferred (although not completely necessary in the long run). Got a pointer elsewhere for LVMQTT on github. Will look into that first. If that doesn't do the trick, then a wrapper is probably needed (if something else doesn't pop up).

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked extensively with LabVIEW and MQTT.  Indeed LabVIEW does not have any really good libratry for that. I have worked a bit with @cowen71 to put together some good functionality.  We wanted to make it more "reusable" and release it to broader public, but when it reached the amount of features that served our private purposes - the momentum stopped. 

Here is a library https://github.com/mradziwo/mqtt-LabVIEW/ which is not perfect as I say, but allows for asynchronous calls to MQTT, and some event-based callbacks. 

If you would be willing to join the team to bring it to "publication" state, we would be more than happy to collaborate on that. 

9 hours ago, viSci said:

Just curious, what is the advantage of the MQTT implementation over off the shelf RTI-DDS now built into LabVIEW for windows and RT Linux

You could ask that about MQTT in general. It seems to be a protocol that just sort of slid into its current position as 'the iot protocol' almost by accident.

Specifically vs DDS, MQTT is a lot simpler and easier for a normal person to understand ("ok now send a structure with a command name and a payload string" should sound familiar to everyone, I think), and it works over TCP, making it potentially more network-friendly than the UDP-based DDS.

For me personally, I feel like some of the marketing is hard to believe -- when people start making claims about 'deterministic' performance networking in a magical software package with a bunch of features, without laying out any numbers or proof or anything it makes me concerned, as one example. It seems highly geared towards marketing towards executives vs marketing towards engineers, to put it another way. I'm also not the biggest fan of how it was pushed by NI

Edited by smithd

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Guru Prasath
      Hello Everyone;
      How I plot the timestamp in the graph of the x-axis and numerical slider the timestamp given in 2d array.

The array in 2d array of string...

I will try this but it not plotting full timestamp can you help me to short of this problem.

It will be a plot, but a few timestamps will plotting 
      How I plot full timestamp and date...

I have attached my problems like the jpg file and .vi file for your reference.

Does anyone have solution comments below...
      5_6285044541540009090.vi
      Thanks and Best regards...

• By torekp
      I was trying a python http communication tutorial - https://aiohttp-demos.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorial.html#views - when I had to disable the NI Application Web Server to proceed.  And then I thought, what the **** am I doing?  Maybe I should take the free (well, prepaid) gift of a working web server.
      Here's my task.  A central HQ computer will have a GUI that monitors five machine stations, each of which has its own computer.  Every approx 10 ms (negotiable), each station gives a report consisting of two arrays, the larger being 2048 data points, the other much smaller.  Whenever HQ feels like it, HQ can tell a station to start or stop (its computer stays on).  A local IP connection is used, with a router at each end.  There is also a Raspberry Pi with its own IP address at each station's router, that can send camera frames to HQ.  The station-computers use Python and C++ to do their work, not counting whatever needs to be added to communicate with HQ.
      Your advice please?  Should I use Labview?  On both ends or just the HQ?  And which if any of these helpful add-ons suggested by Hooovahh should I use?

• By AndyS
      Hi!
      I have to convert a dynamically generated array into a JSON string and back. Unfortunately I found that the un-flatten method loses the variant data. See the screenshot of FP and BD and the comments inside.
      JSON_Text_test.vi

Is this a bug in JSON Text or is my data-construction not supported as expected? In case of the letter I have modify huge parts of my code. So I hope that it is a bug 😉

The 2nd thing I recognized is that the name "Value" of the cluster is not used during flatten. Instead the name of the connected constant / control / line is used. I found the green VI ("Set Data Name__ogtk.vi") at OpenG Toolkit that allows me to programmatically set the variant data name. As you can imagine I would prefer not to need the OpenG VI.

Thanks in advance for your kind help 🙂

• By kartik.azista
      HAs anyone tried creating a sub vi programmatically by selecting the set of blocks through scripting?????
    • By TDF
      TDF team is proud to propose for free download the scikit-learn library adapted for LabVIEW in open source.
      LabVIEW developer can now use our library for free as simple and efficient tools for predictive data analysis, accessible to everybody, and reusable in various contexts.
      It features various classification, regression and clustering algorithms including support vector machines, random forests, gradient boosting, k-means and DBSCAN, and is designed to interoperate with the Python numerical and scientific libraries NumPy and SciPy from the famous scikit-learn Python library. 

Coming soon, our team is working on the « HAIBAL Project », deep learning library written in native LabVIEW, full compatible CUDA and NI FPGA.
      But why deprive ourselves of the power of ALL the FPGA boards ? No reason, that's why we are working on our own compilator to make HAIBAL full compatible with all Xilinx and Intel Altera FPGA boards.
      HAIBAL will propose more than 100 different layers, 22 initialisators, 15 activation type, 7 optimizors, 17 looses.

As we like AI Facebook and Google products, we will of course make HAIBAL natively full compatible with PyTorch and Keras.

Sources are available now on our GitHub for free : https://www.technologies-france.com/?page_id=487

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.