Callbacks without a single line of text code

21 hours ago, dadreamer said:

no good TL;DR was invented. You

Did ChatGPT make a passable TL;DR?

The author of the article discusses their exploration into creating callbacks in LabVIEW using .NET delegates. They explain that they initially wanted to create a .NET event at runtime but found it to be impossible. They then investigated the LV native Register Event Callback node but ran into some challenges. They eventually discovered a middle layer generated by LabVIEW that converts native calls to VI calls using the NationalInstruments.LabVIEW###.dll assembly. They were able to use this assembly to call a delegate and successfully invoke a callback VI. They provide an example of how to do this and note that while it is possible, it involves several hacks and may not be suitable for real-life applications. They conclude that this information may be useful as a reference for future development ideas.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For completeness, on Windows it's also possible to execute a VI as a callback function like this:

1. Write a VI with the needed callback signature and a mechanism to pass the data you want onward.
  2. Compile it into a DLL.
  3. Load it from the DLL using GetProcAddress and pass that as the callback pointer.

I posted an example here, which I believe also uses EnumWindows.

This comes with its own bunch of caveats, and I never actually used it beyond playing with it, but it is simpler and doesn't require text based code either.