How are Y'all applying a password to an entire hiarchy in LV 8.X?

I added a Source Distribution to my project and used the "Source File Settings" page to set the password for the containing folder.

After opening the NEW project and examining the "Source File Settings" I noticed a "secret" that distrubs me a little.

post-29-1159291103.jpg?width=400

I have been know to forget passwords, but I did not expect this kind of help.

Has this already been discussed when I wasn't looking? If so, I would appreciate a link to enlighten me.

I suppose i could just edit the project and delete the source distribution before sending to my customer.

At the very least "YOU have been warned!"

Ben

• 3 months later...
This was reported to R&D (# 41QIL3J1) for further investigation. I've reported the fact that the password stored in the .lvproj file should be encrypted and that the dialog should display whether a password is set or not but not what that password actually is.

While I agree that this is not really the way to deal with passwords I wonder if there is a real problem. Are you going to distribute the lvproj file too with your VI's? Not sure why you would want to.

Rolf Kalbermatter

While I agree that this is not really the way to deal with passwords I wonder if there is a real problem. Are you going to distribute the lvproj file too with your VI's? Not sure why you would want to.

Rolf Kalbermatter

If you're doing anything with RT/targets, you *have* to distribute the project. It contains all the deployment information. I don't really use RT, so I'm not sure how people share systems like those (after development they have to be duplicated to many systems, right?), but I can tell you that there are definitely cases where the VIs would execute differently in the absence of a project than in the presence of one.

If you're doing anything with RT/targets, you *have* to distribute the project. It contains all the deployment information. I don't really use RT, so I'm not sure how people share systems like those (after development they have to be duplicated to many systems, right?), but I can tell you that there are definitely cases where the VIs would execute differently in the absence of a project than in the presence of one.

Ah I see. Well I for myself still have to do my first project for RT/FPGA in 8.x. 7.1.1 while having some quirks actually still works great for that.

Rolf Kalbermatter