(Godwin's Law)^-1

crelf

Do you know what this topic reminds me of? Beer!

hum15.jpg

Well seeing that we already have a winner and this thread is not closed YET, let me ask....

If I understand

it is always good to talk about beer

and

it is always bad to talk about people who once were identified by a four letter word that starts with "N",

Then aren't we playing the game just the way the some bad people would want us to behave, not talking about the errors of history and quietly inebrating ourselves and calling that "good"?

Confused,

Ben

My dislexic brain reads that as "Beer wal" :oops:

Dyslexia!

Now I'm curious. I've always thought that I've suffered, and now my 5 year old daughter shows signs of it (her teacher brought it up). I've been thinking about it quite a bit lately...

My question is, what percentage of LabVIEW users suffer from some sort of dyslexia? Could it be that dyslexic people gravitate towards LabVIEW because wires and dataflow free us from the details of text based programming?

Dyslexia!

Now I'm curious. I've always thought that I've suffered, and now my 5 year old daughter shows signs of it (her teacher brought it up). I've been thinking about it quite a bit lately...

My question is, what percentage of LabVIEW users suffer from some sort of dyslexia? Could it be that dyslexic people gravitate towards LabVIEW because wires and dataflow free us from the details of text based programming?

I think it is quite high. Probably higher than some of us want to admit.

In my case I have been tested and as such qualify under the "Americans with Disabilities Act".

My research into the matter is good and bad. As of the last I checked there was absolutely nothing anyone can do to help. I believe Dyslexia to be quite common amoung scientists and engineers. Although society applies a stigma to the condition being labeled "learning disabled" is a very hard pill to swallow. Those that do have that condition will often develop coping techniques and can quite often mask the effect. Its not all bad though! I can read upside-down in a mirror as well as I can the normal way.

But your observation re:LV and dyslexia!

That is one of the big reasons I LOVE LabVIEW.

After working in those "other" languages and being frustrated not being able to SEE spelling errors that threw off my syntax, LV was a "Gift from God" delivered by way of Jeff K.

Re: Your duaghter

Encourage her.

Help her to ow to recognize when she has to be careful.

Help her develop compensating techniques (i.e using your finger to read is OK!)

Also help her figure out what extra gify God gave her to compensate and help her exploit it.

So to close for now let me speak for my fellow dyslexics by saying "We ain't dumb, we are just different."

Ben

BTW: AE was possibly dislexic and that is why he had trouble with math in the 4th grade.

OK,

I was probably a little to serious in my last posting. Let me try to lighten it up a little.

BEER

Any thoughts on that subject? :D

Ben

So to close for now let me speak for my fellow dyslexics by saying "We ain't dumb, we are just different."

Ben

I hope I have not offended anyone with some of my posts where I do spoonerisms to keep people on their toes (i.e. Puplicate Dost), sometimes it may come across as a play on dyslexia. My nephew is dsylexic, he was diagnosed about 8 years ago and with encouragement, extra assistance in school, and hard work he has become one of the brightest in his 11th grade class. I had fun helping him learn how to reduce resistor networks and calculate all the currents and voltages in the circuits. Once he got a hold of the basic premise, he was a machine.

Glad to hear that LV is of benefit, Ben.

Back to topic, does (Kring's Law * Godwin's Law) = 1? since the topic of the post is (Godwin's Law)^-1.

It seems to be working on A****. I'll drink to that :yes:

Beer's Law is already taken! However it is about absorption of light , not beer.

So if beer absorbs light and we absorb the beer, then we absorb light? Very illuminating. So I must test this, to see if can expel the beer and it's absorbed light at night without having to turn on the lights. This will also remind me to put the seat back down when I see the loo's contents glowing.

:beer: + :lightbulb: = :thumbup:

...then we absorb light?

very interesting thought!

So if we drank enough beer fast enough could we abosrb so much light that it no longer reflects and we just appear to be a shadow or a type of "walking black hole"?

There may be some truth in this. From my personal observations, it appears that the enlightenment derived from a conversation seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of BEER consumed. Another is that bars (in the US) are generally rather dark and get darker as the night goes on. I had thought this was due to a lack of lighting sources, and never stoped to concider that the light may be getting consumed. ;)

Ben

So if we drank enough beer fast enough could we abosrb so much light that it no longer reflects and we just appear to be a shadow or a type of "walking black hole"?

I was called a 'hole more than once in college after consuming beer too fast using a beer-bong :D

As for the theory of the bars growing darker during the course of the evening, I would attribute it to the change in concentration of absorbing species in the material (your eyeballs) rather than the environment, otherwise you wouldn't need a designated driver, their vision would be impared as much as yours, or yours would improve immediately upon exiting the establishment. As the concentration of your absorbing species declines, your vision returns.

Now I finally understand Beer-goggles :thumbup:

very interesting thought!

There may be some truth in this. From my personal observations, it appears that the enlightenment derived from a conversation seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of BEER consumed. Another is that bars (in the US) are generally rather dark and get darker as the night goes on. I had thought this was due to a lack of lighting sources, and never stoped to concider that the light may be getting consumed. ;)

Ben

Strangely the effect is much less pronounced when the subject drinks light beer...

The "walking black hole" is only observed by the drinker after he reaches "extinction". The subject has no recollection of the events past the event horizon that occurs on extinction. Observer from outside can only see a collapsed inert mass.

Strangely the effect is much less pronounced when the subject drinks light beer...

The "walking black hole" is only observed by the drinker after it reaches "extinction". The subject has no recollection of the events past the event horizon that occurs on extinction. Observer from outside can only see a collapsed inert mass.

Light beer, excellent inclusion into the discussion. :laugh:

Be careful not to enter the drinker's event horizon, nasty things are said to be expelled within it with 97.7% certanty.

I'm sorry to spoil the fun topic, but I think Ben's first reply shows that he misinterpreted the discussion of Godwin's Law.

If you read the Wiki topic Jim has linked to carefully, you'll see that most of the discussion is actually about "illegal" evocation of Godwin's law.

I don't mean to bash Ben here, but since I raised a "Godwin" on Alfa once on this forum, I kinda feel strong about this ...

... the discussion is actually about "illegal" evocation of Godwin's law.

I don't mean to bash Ben here, but since I raised a "Godwin" on Alfa once on this forum, I kinda feel strong about this ...

I'm glad you caught my point! :yes:

There is a fine line that seperates the proper and improper application of Godwin's Law. What I wrote (I thought) was wrong and was expecting to be corrected (eventually).

Reference to the historic event and the group responsible is not a call for Godwin but where to draw the line exactly...

Thanks for paying attention Dirk! :thumbup:

And just for the record, I have only heard about "Godwin's Law" recently, once on Alfa once on me. :o I am not complaining about it happening to me, but Alfa was on to a "thing" that was starting to get interesting.

I am still curious how it is applied.

Ben

I think it is quite high. Probably higher than some of us want to admit.

... <snip> ...

BTW: AE was possibly dislexic and that is why he had trouble with math in the 4th grade.

Actually, most of what I have read leans towards Asperger's Syndrome, a high functioning form of autism. Although the two syndromes may also be found together.

So if beer absorbs light and we absorb the beer, then we absorb light? Very illuminating. ...<snip>

"Remember, luminous beings are we, not this crude matter ..."

I'm glad you caught my point! :yes:

There is a fine line that seperates the proper and improper application of Godwin's Law. What I wrote (I thought) was wrong and was expecting to be corrected (eventually).

Reference to the historic event and the group responsible is not a call for Godwin but where to draw the line exactly...

Thanks for paying attention Dirk! :thumbup:

And just for the record, I have only heard about "Godwin's Law" recently, once on Alfa once on me. :o I am not complaining about it happening to me, but Alfa was on to a "thing" that was starting to get interesting.

I am still curious how it is applied.

Ben

Well, the thing is that, "according to godwin's law", the probability of comparison grows, and by tradition the person who does make the comparison of a certain action in their daily life to the nazi's, hitler, etc, loses the debate.

The tendency is (unfortunately) that whoever mentions the nazi's, hitler, enz, has allready lost the discussion. That cannot be anything but wrong, because if history cannot be told, there is nothing to be learned from the mistakes that were made.

That cannot be anything but wrong, because if history cannot be told, there is nothing to be learned from the mistakes that were made.

Actually, what you're talking about is an extension of Godwin's law and was not proposed as part of the original law at all. The law very simply states:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
Godwin's Law is purely observational - I don't think the practical implementation of the bastardized version was ever meant to be taken as seriously as you're making it out to be.