(Godwin's Law)^-1

crelf

Well, the thing is that, "according to godwin's law", the probability of comparison grows, and by tradition the person who does make the comparison of a certain action in their daily life to the nazi's, hitler, etc, loses the debate.

The tendency is (unfortunately) that whoever mentions the nazi's, hitler, enz, has allready lost the discussion. That cannot be anything but wrong, because if history cannot be told, there is nothing to be learned from the mistakes that were made.

Chris has pointed out that the original only states an observation and doesn't actually maky any characterization.

But to get back to your reasoning, it is actually not about mentioning Nazi or Hitler that is the bad thing, it is about using those terms to compare some perceived or real action of someone with it. Those words are very loaded and using them to compare anything with, is usually simply a way of trying to say someone is an a**hole without actually using the word. And as such extremely unpolite, totally uncalled for and most definitely not helpful in the bigger context of a discussion.

If you want to talk about genozide, race discrimination and despotisme, then I do not see why you couldn't use Hitler or Nazi in that context but you shouldn't try to use them out of context for something else.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 3 months later...
Well, there is a proposal to delete this wikipedia entry (see attached image)...

PJM

... and I have to admitt, I fully understand that wikipedia want's to delete this entry, because at least 60% of the entry is advertising for Jim and his company, and I think it's good to keep wikipedia ad-free, even if it hits "one of us" ...

I think we should keep kring's law as a runing gag in this or other forum(s) for a while, before we bother other's with this topic ...

cheers,

cb

... and I have to admitt, I fully understand that wikipedia want's to delete this entry, because at least 60% of the entry is advertising for Jim and his company, and I think it's good to keep wikipedia ad-free, even if it hits "one of us" ...

It's not advertising - it's background to the person who coined the phrase.

I think we should keep kring's law as a runing gag in this or other forum(s) for a while, before we bother other's with this topic ...

Well excuse me for trying to have a little fun.

Well excuse me for trying to have a little fun.

hey, I have no problem with having fun (I think the LV 6i slogan was "it's OK to have fun!") - but I can understand as well that wikipedia want's to delete this topic ...

It's not advertising - it's background to the person who coined the phrase.

sorry (and I hope we don't have to discuss this any further, it's just MY HUMBLE opinion) but in my eyes the paragraph about jim is 100% advertising ...

cheers,

CB

hey, I have no problem with having fun (I think the LV 6i slogan was "it's OK to have fun!") - but I can understand as well that wikipedia want's to delete this topic ...

I do too - in fact, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did! I put it up there as a joke - it wasn't supposed to be taken at all seriously. Obviously, my sense of humour has been appreciated as much as Mike's April Fool's day joke :headbang:

I'll get back under my rock now and return you to your regular programme...

I'll get back under my rock now and return you to your regular programme...

ARGH ... please don't be embarrassed, and please don't take it to serious, if I don't share your point of view from time to time - I think that's quite normal?

Mike's April Fool's day joke

<werewolf=ON>GRRRRRR .... GRRR .... do not put salt in the wound! <werewolf=OFF> ;)

• 2 months later...
Why does an image of a cage match between Max Baer Jr (sp?) and Hitler with Mel Brooks oficiating come to mind?

Mel Brooks playing Hitler in "To Be or Not To Be":

"All I want is peace! A little piece of Poland, a little piece of France, a little piece of Hungary and Austria, perchance?"

to_be_gb.jpg