My first LAVA birthday & nick change from "jimi"

Tomi Maila

Hi fellows,

I joined LAVA January 29th, 2006. That means, today is my first LAVA birthday!!! To celebrate my birthday, I changed my LAVA nick name to my real name Tomi Maila. My previous LAVA nick was jimi. I know you all are capable enough to make the connection... Further to celebrate my LAVA birthday I subscribed to LAVA premium mebership to support this great forum! I challenge everybody who has written more than 100 posts to subscribe to premium membership at their next LAVA birthday!

EDIT: As a birthday cake I provide the community Create Multiple Occurrences subVI I just wrote. The VI is inspired by Ben's community nugget from today. The occurrences are distinct under any circumstances unlike the occurrences directly created with Generate Occurrence node or unlike notifiers. Creating many occurrences using this VI should be relatively fast. The Create Multiple Occurrences node is distributed under BSD license i.e. you are free to use it in any of your project with no charge and no obligations. The file is for LabVIEW 8.0 or later. I don't have earlier versions of LabVIEW installed on this computer.

EDIT 2: There is a problem in this VI, do not use this yet!

Download File:post-4014-1170068553.vi

Regards,

Tomi Maila a.k.a. jimi

p.s. Thanks Ton for reminding me of my first LAVA birthday... :)

EDIT: As a birthday cake I provide the community Create Multiple Occurrences subVI I just wrote. The VI is inspired by Ben's community nugget from today. The occurrences are distinct under any circumstances unlike the occurrences directly created with Generate Occurrence node or unlike notifiers. Creating many occurrences using this VI should be relatively fast. The Create Multiple Occurrences node is distributed under BSD license i.e. you are free to use it in any of your project with no charge and no obligations. The file is for LabVIEW 8.0 or later. I don't have earlier versions of LabVIEW installed on this computer.

Congrats, Tomi!

Very nice cake, I hope you don't mind if I did some changes to it:

1. It now remembers the notifiers from call to call, so that requesting 1 occurrence at the time, does not require recursive call unless there are no more occ. in buffer.
  2. It doesn't close opened VI-references to allow for occurrences to stay active.
  3. When requesting more occurences than available, the recursive call requests complete buffers only, i.e. avoiding nested calls as I think that is slower.

Download File:post-5958-1170227460.vi

Again, congratulations, and keep up the good work :worship:

/J

Tomi,

By the way, there is a way to create an destroy occurrences by calling into LabVIEW directly. See my posting, here, on the community nugget thread that you mentioned.

Thanks,

An excellent idea Jim! I took a liberty to modify your library a little. I posted the modifications to the thread you referred.

p.s. I assume you accidentally refer to SciWare in your BSD license as I assume you wrote those specific VIs by yourself alone. I added my own name to the modified version.

An excellent idea Jim! I took a liberty to modify your library a little. I posted the modifications to the thread you referred.

p.s. I assume you accidentally refer to SciWare in your BSD license as I assume you wrote those specific VIs by yourself alone. I added my own name to the modified version.

Thanks. Yes, the reference to SciWare was a goof up (license notice copy-paste error). But Kurt's a great guy, so there's no harm in giving SciWare a shout-out :)

Also, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to add these VIs to the OpenG toolkit. It seems that several people found the idea of dynamically created occurrences to be of interest.

Sounds good to me, would you create a package. I really don't know how.

Tomi,

Yes, I would create a package file. I was thinking of also adding the Occurrences palette as a subpalette to this library's palette (for easy access). I'll get the basic project structure in place for this package (with the necessary build scripts) and then I'll let you jump in and help with the final touches -- unit testing, etc (if you're interested).

Cheers,

-Jim

PS - who's Jimi? ;)

Jim,

Thank you very much for your reply to my Nugget thread.

That took the whole Q factor up an order of magnitude.

Ben

Ben,

Thanks for the kind words and you're very welcome. But, I must confess that I the real reason I was lurking in the forums at ni.com, yesterday, was because LAVA was down and I was going through some serious withdrawals :wacko:

Happy to contribute,

-Jim