DAQ Digital I/O vs. Parallel Port

QUOTE(ControlEngineer @ Apr 27 2007, 02:52 PM)

if i have to choose either parallel port or 6024E DAQ for digital signals and control , which one to choose ?

Thats easy, choose the 6024E. Don't worry about the differences in this case. Its easier all around to program the 6024's DIO ports than trying to use the parallel port as DIO.

QUOTE(chrisdavis @ Apr 27 2007, 04:31 PM)

Thats easy, choose the 6024E. Don't worry about the differences in this case. Its easier all around to program the 6024's DIO ports than trying to use the parallel port as DIO.

What about just output? I was thinking along similar lines recently. I have to send a timing pulse to 8 different locations to start a process. My first thought was to use a cheap NI DIO board, but the idea of being able to use the parallel port and save myself a PCI slot sounded pretty good too.

Thanks,

Gary

QUOTE(chrisdavis @ Apr 28 2007, 09:56 PM)

If you've got USB you could try http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/201630' target="_blank">one of these (USB 6501) for only $99. DAQmx compatable, using an express VI you'd be done in 5 minutes or less with the DIO part.

I was thinking about USB. Not sure how I would package that. I guess I could strap it to the back of the rack, if the customer's ok with it.

Thanks.

QUOTE(chrisdavis @ Apr 29 2007, 03:56 AM)

If you've got USB you could try http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/201630' target="_blank">one of these (USB 6501) for only $99. DAQmx compatable, using an express VI you'd be done in 5 minutes or less with the DIO part.

the USB 600x or 6501 device are nice, but if you e.g. need continious DIO operations, they are not suitable. So my first choice, when considering to buy a DAQ device from NI, would be to buy a M-Series. The small ones are not *that expensive* and you can use them for a long period of time before they become *really* outdated.

What if one wanted to use the parallel port on a computer anyway to save money, or for a home project or something of the like? I've thought of doing something like that just to do it. It would be cool (or IS cool if it already has been done) for someone to write a LabVIEW driver for the parallel port. I know I'm risking someone saying "Cool! How 'bout you do that?" (it happens a LOT here at work), but it would be something neat for people interested in creating something for a home project or in case someone just is set on using a parallel port anyway.

QUOTE(Bryan @ Apr 29 2007, 11:41 AM)

hmm ... my friends say I am a little bit lazy, but that's not true, I am lazy like a bone, so I'd prefer to avoid any work which isn't urgent ;)

I found an http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3466' target="_blank">article at the NI Devzone, which might be interesting for you. Maybe this is a good point to start?

On the other hand: if you are thinking about "playing around" or "home automation" - 2 weeks ago, I bought myself a Siemens LOGO! starter kit for 150 Euros. Maybe this technique might be more suitable for your purposes and if you are used to LabVIEW, you will have no problems to get familiar with the LOGO! The big advantage of a LOGO! is, that you don't need any signal conditioning, etc ... it's all included in one small device and you can switch 12/24V or 110/230V with "ready to go out of the box" devices. If you want this from NI, you have to buy a FieldPoint System, which is at least 5 or more times as expensive as this cheap logic module ...

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 29 2007, 04:10 PM)

IMHO using parallel port for digital IO is more or less useless, because you have to spend to much money for the signal conditioning / connectivity ...

QUOTE(i2dx @ Apr 30 2007, 01:32 AM)

IMHO using parallel port for digital IO is more or less useless, because you have to spend to much money for the signal conditioning / connectivity ...

That's absolutely true in commerical applications, but not so much in school homework applications. Perhaps a well written (and verbosely documented) mini-toolkit will give a lot of our HH a good example of where to start in producing high quality LabVIEW code.

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(Bryan @ Apr 29 2007, 04:41 AM)

What if one wanted to use the parallel port on a computer anyway to save money, or for a home project or something of the like? I've thought of doing something like that just to do it. It would be cool (or IS cool if it already has been done) for someone to write a LabVIEW driver for the parallel port. I know I'm risking someone saying "Cool! How 'bout you do that?" (it happens a LOT here at work), but it would be something neat for people interested in creating something for a home project or in case someone just is set on using a parallel port anyway.

Programming a parallel port with direct IO access VIs is possible but not trivial at all. Apart from differences between computers in setup and differences in what mode a parallel port is initialised in the BIOS that can change how you have to access that port, there is one other important issue here. While notebooks nowadays seldom or never have a built in parallel port anymore (and serial ports too!!) there are even desktop systems that come without a built-in parallel port anymore. So in terms of ease of use and overal compatibility a low cost USB DAQ device is certainly a lot more friendly for nowadays modern systems and will get even more unavoidable in the future. While you can plugin a cheap 10$ parallel port PCI card in a desktop this is usually no option for notebooks too.

Rolf Kalbermatter