Try a full version of LabVIEW for 3hrs Online

Just found out from this post that NI has setup an online method of running and executing LabVIEW with 3hr time slots. This is freakin' cool! It's an actual personalized VMWARE image on a Windows machine that is created just for you! I just went and tried it and have learned this:

• Initial startup is slow because your computer needs all the Java stuff loaded.
  • Subsequent startup takes about 3 minutes.
  • With every new login, you get a fresh 3 hrs.
  • It worked fine in IE7 and FF2.
  • The trial machine has access to the internet which means you can actualy program something, zip it and upload it? Why would they allow this?

Of course, after this post, I'm sure we're gonna crash the servers... ;) . Watch NI cripple it after this announcement :( . I can see this as a useful tool to use when you don't have LabVIEW installed on your computer. I guess the question is, why wouldn't you have LabVIEW installed?

Edit: It seems this all runs a bit quicker in IE7.

Wow this is fricken amazing. I had no idea that this kind of thing existed. But yes it is kinda odd that NI would allow such a thing. Maybe NI makes most of their profit off of the hardware. I mean LabVIEW isn't the best programming language unless you add on all the DAQ, and Real-Time Embedded support that NI gives it with the hardware that they provide.

I'm in the process of trying it out right now, I'm really curious to see how fast it runs. I mean the concept of running a virtual machine over the internet is not a new concept. I can't seem to find the link now, but there is a version of Linux that you can run from within a browser, but it's not free so I never tried it.

That is really cool - LAVA on an NI internal PC :)

QUOTE(Ami @ May 11 2007, 11:14 PM)

...and if you need to trial it for longer than 3 hours at a time, you can always download LabVIEW and run it in evaluation mode for 30 days.

QUOTE(hooovahh @ May 11 2007, 11:26 PM)

I mean LabVIEW isn't the best programming language unless you add on all the DAQ, and Real-Time Embedded support that NI gives it with the hardware that they provide.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but that totally depends on what you mean by "best" - you could arguably say that about any programming language.

QUOTE(crelf @ May 11 2007, 09:34 AM)

...and if you need to trial it for longer than 3 hours at a time, you can always download LabVIEW and run it in evaluation mode for 30 days.

"The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing But The Truth"

Your quote is two out of three,

more than that I am not willing to articulate ...

:shifty:

QUOTE(hooovahh @ May 11 2007, 09:26 AM)

... LabVIEW isn't the best programming language unless you add on all the ...

It all depends on what you want your software to do. As a matter of opinion LV may not be the "best", but it's certainly the only one worth my time for what I want to do with my life. Don't you know? LV is going to be running the world in a few years. :)

QUOTE(Mike Ashe @ May 11 2007, 05:59 PM)

"The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing But The Truth"

Your quote is two out of three,

more than that I am not willing to articulate ...

:shifty:

That wasn't quite how I would put it (although I do understand which two out of the three you are talking about), but I was thinking the exact same thing. :ninja: