RT simulation on my computer

jlau

Dear all,

Hello ! This is my first post so I introduce myself :

I am a French engineer developing Labview test applications since 2 years for embedded systems (mainly avionics).

I have to use Labview RT to drive a real time target.

I join here a print-screen of the project.

My problem is : I do not have yet the physical target (a PXI chassis). So do you know if there is a mean to simulate the RT Target on my computer. If yes which ?

I believe something like the DAQ simulated devices might exist …

Thanks a lot for your help.

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6337

Jean

QUOTE(Neville D @ Jul 10 2007, 11:58 AM)

Hi Jean,

there is no means to simulate an RT device, but your RT code should run even on your desktop PC (so long as you have equivalent hardware). What sort of application is it? DAQ? Vision?

Neville.

Adding to Neville's reply...

You should be able to create simulated devices in MAX to cover the hardware req's.

Ben

QUOTE(Neville D @ Jul 10 2007, 10:58 AM)

there is no means to simulate an RT device, but your RT code should run even on your desktop PC (so long as you have equivalent hardware).

That's not exactly true. I have one application that uses RT Set Date and Time. When I open the VI from the Project Explorer and targeted to the RT target, it opens fine. If it is targeted to my desktop machine, or I open it by double-clicking the VI in an Explorer window, LabVIEW searches the entire VI search path for the Set Date VI, but doesn't find it. The definition of <vi.lib> seems to change depending on what the target is. This isn't a particularly big deal, but I find it annoying.

If parts of your code will not work on your PC and need the real time target you can use the Conditional Disable Structure to disable parts of you block diagram using the TARGET_TYPE symbol.

See the "Conditional Disable Structure.lvproj" example in the NI example Finder.

Thanks for all those quick answers :) .

So I cannot really simulate an RT target :( . I am going to run the target application on my desktop computer, with a Conditional Disable Structure for the TCP communication VIs (which cause error because the is no network).

(The application is driving a motor and receiving position data from the robot driven by this motor.)

Jean

QUOTE(jlau @ Jul 11 2007, 08:13 AM)

Thanks for all those quick answers :) .

So I cannot really simulate an RT target :( . I am going to run the target application on my desktop computer, with a Conditional Disable Structure for the TCP communication VIs (which cause error because the is no network).

(The application is driving a motor and receiving position data from the robot driven by this motor.)

Jean

TCP communication should work regardless of platform. Have you tried running the code on the desktop? The TCP primitives themselves should handle any platform specific details invisible to you.

Like others mentioned there are a few functions (usually from the RT pallet) that won't work on the desktop platform (and vice versa for any ActiveX calls etc. for RT platform), but the large majority, I would say 99% of the code should work fine on the desktop.

-------------------edit-------------------------

Looking at your earlier screen shot, looks like you have some RT FIFO VI's; these won't work on the desktop, but you could probably replace those with Q VI's (use a case structure wherever you have the FIFO VI's and replace with equivalent Q VI's) and the code should run.

Neville.

QUOTE(Neville D @ Jul 13 2007, 10:55 AM)

TCP communication should work regardless of platform. Have you tried running the code on the desktop? The TCP primitives themselves should handle any platform specific details invisible to you.

Like others mentioned there are a few functions (usually from the RT pallet) that won't work on the desktop platform (and vice versa for any ActiveX calls etc. for RT platform), but the large majority, I would say 99% of the code should work fine on the desktop.

The TCP functions will return errors if no network card or at least a TCP/IP adapter (modem, broadband or whatever) is present in the system to which the TCP/IP socket layer can bind to or if those adapters are all disabled. Though I wonder if there still exist PCs without a network interface.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(wallyabcd @ Jul 18 2007, 05:41 AM)

Hi Jean;

You can install both the labview ETX, RTX modules.

The ETX can be any old desktop with some few limitations on the choice of Lan card supported

Install it on a spare PC and you're ready to go,

and it will behave almost the same as a realtime platform.

A few functions are not supported or different on each one...

Additional hardware is not so obvious and depends onit's exact nature.

See NI website for how to...

Walters

You would need a separate LV-RT runtime licence to do this legally (about $900 US..)

Neville.