I had the best NIWeek ever!

Jim Kring

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Aug 16 2007, 11:37 AM)

See here for more info.

Regarding the two point:

• JKI was recognized by NI during a keynote as being an important part of the LabVIEW Community Ecosystem!
  • JKI’s booth location was awesome!

I have something to say here. I mis-used JKI booth table as the LabVIEW community table because I messed up the table for a moment with my prizes for LAVA/OPENG BBQ ( although I finally missed it :( ) and Jim was kind to let me put the stuff under the table. It was just such a natural thing to think JKI is part of the LabVIEW community ecosystem. It is not surprising to see JKI logo on the keynote slide.

Irene

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 19 2007, 08:18 AM)

You didn't even mention the LAVA logo appearing on the LV splash screen.

hmm ... and NI didn't mention the biggest LabVIEW community in Europe in it's keynote :P ... and I guess (just to be mean) it didn't even consider to mention ...

QUOTE(i2dx @ Aug 19 2007, 02:05 AM)

What is Europe? :P

QUOTE(i2dx @ Aug 19 2007, 02:12 AM)

www.labviewforum.de

currently: 2900 users with 33.903 posts

You'd think that of 2900 users, more than 33 would post something. And who only posts 9/10ths of a post? Definitely a strange place, this Europe of which you speak. :P

QUOTE(i2dx @ Aug 19 2007, 12:12 AM)

33.903 posts isn't very many :P

(how do you make a fractional posting, anyhow?)

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 18 2007, 11:18 PM)

You didn't even mention the LAVA logo appearing on the
LV
splash screen.

There were just so many wonderful things, that it's hard to keep track! Yes, that belongs on the list, for sure :)

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 19 2007, 09:15 AM)

that was me, I hadn't that much to tell, so I left my post unfinished :P

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 19 2007, 09:15 AM)

What is Europe?
:P

the place where the combustion engine, the telepohne, the computer and the rocket were invented. Most probably all these inventions were made under heavy influence of the best beer the world knows! :P

QUOTE(i2dx @ Aug 19 2007, 10:12 AM)

www.labviewforum.de

It's general knowledge that people from the States don't know what's going on in the rest of the world. We had at least one representative from Europe. I guess ExpressionFlow was the only European community that got on that famous slide ;)

Off topic. North Korea got it's own domain .kp finally. Now this thread and LAVA forum is tagged for secret service investigation from North Korea ;)

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Aug 19 2007, 09:36 AM)

who got your bribes? ;) *

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Aug 19 2007, 09:36 AM)

Off topic. North Korea got it's own domain .kp finally. Now this thread and LAVA forum is tagged for secret service investigation from North Korea
;)

huh? :question: :question: If you wanted to confuse me, you were successfull ...

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Aug 19 2007, 03:17 AM)

You have no idea that people from Europe (maybe not all, but some) have reversed logic :) , when they write ".", they mean ",".

Irene

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 19 2007, 03:15 AM)

What is Europe?

You'd think that of 2900 users, more than 33 would post something. And who only posts 9/10ths of a post? Definitely a strange place, this Europe of which you speak.

You all are so American. :) Since you are from NI, make sure LabVIEW handles localization correctly. :) If a user is from Germany, make sure to interpret a "." as a ",", otherwise all calculations will be all wrong. :)

Irene

QUOTE(Irene_he @ Aug 19 2007, 08:13 AM)

You all are so American. :) Since you are from NI, make sure LabVIEW handles localization correctly. :) If a user is from Germany, make sure to interpret a "." as a ",", otherwise all calculations will be all wrong. :)

What's next, having our road signs use alien markings like 'km'? ;)

QUOTE(Irene_he @ Aug 19 2007, 06:13 PM)

If a user is from Germany, make sure to interpret a "." as a ",", otherwise all calculations will be all wrong. :)

Actually I always set my decimal point symbol to '.' because NI has tried to localize some of the VIs to use local decimal point symbol. This seems to cause more problems than it solves. For example there was/is a bug in TDM file that tdm functions used system decimal point in the TDM XML file. As a result the TDM files were not working across systems using different kind of decimal point.

QUOTE(Omar Mussa @ Aug 19 2007, 08:47 AM)

Probably having to order beer by the 'l'.

Mmmm.... :beer:

QUOTE(Irene_he @ Aug 19 2007, 08:13 AM)

You have no idea that people from Europe (maybe not all, but some) have reversed logic
:)
, when they write ".", they mean ",".

Ohhh, so Europeans actually are writing long run-on sentences. You learn something new every day. I think I see the pattern, here. Then, do the 'pause' and 'stop' buttons on European remote controls work in opposite fashion, too? We Americans miss so much, since we don't speak European. But, I do love European food -- there's a good restaurant that Michael takes us to that has the best Euros.

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6684

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Aug 19 2007, 01:33 PM)

Sure, if I would go next time (and on time) and I want revenge.

Ohhh, so Europeans actually are writing long run-on sentences.

Ja, I am not a European, so I was having a hard time to remembering what the sentence was all about when I finally heard the most important verb of a sentence that came out at very end of a sentence. :) Well, if you know what I am talking about. :)

Irene

Oh, the Duenner Kebak! Isn't that from Turkey? I loved it!, The best one was at the Underground station (U-Bahn Station) at Wedding in Berlin! I actually was looking for this type of food here in my current living places, there was one in a plaza, but not as good as I used to eat. :)

Irene

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Aug 19 2007, 08:33 PM)

That actually looks quite similar to Shawarma, popular throughout the middle east. In any case, I don't think that the snobby French would like that you regard the Greeks as European. :P

QUOTE(Omar Mussa @ Aug 19 2007, 05:47 PM)

what's so bad about using the international SI notation? come on, squarepounds per inch or lux per acres does not seem to be an "easy to use" unit to me :P

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Aug 19 2007, 07:33 PM)

But, I do love European food -- there's a good restaurant that Michael takes us to that has the best Euros.

Yes, that's Döner Kebap. There is a big community of turkish people living in berlin, you can maybe compare that to china town, and you get Döner Kebap allmost on every corner. BTW: it's the most popular fast food, in germany. McDonalds and BurgerKing together can't beet Döner Kebap <yumm>

and if you like beer, and if you visit europe some day, don't miss this: http://www.andechs.de/brauerei/

QUOTE(i2dx @ Aug 19 2007, 08:46 PM)

Well to support by my Bavarian (which is a http://www.bavaria.nl' target="_blank">beer brand in the Netherlands) friend in the Utrecht Central station (the biggest of the Netherlands) there are at least 3 stores that sell Döner Kebab, Turkish pizza and Shoarma/Shawarma and just 1 that sells traditional fast food.

And about localization when do you American step into the 21st century? Placing the month before the day of the month (when was 07/02/2002) in July or in February? Every logical thinking Human being would say February, but infortunately the software industry thinks otherwise for some reason.

And please forget the AM/PM notation just use 24H! (admin are you reading? ;) ). I don't know when we learnd to count to 24 but it was a good day!

Ton