Control look out: Classic<->Modern style

Eugen Graf

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Sep 4 2007, 05:22 PM)

You mean you want to do this manually for some VIs or automatically for a large number of VIs?

Yes, manually. I know I can use Control->Replace and then replace my modern object to a classic. But it doesn't work for clusters and arrays. Furthermore if I replace a object to any other, then the new loses properties, like formatting.

Eugen

You can make the borders of 3D structures transparent:

1. Right click on the border using the paint tool.
  2. Hover on top of the T color.
  3. Press the space bar a couple of times. This alternates between foreground and background color. One of these should make the border transparent.

You could probably also do the programmatic replacing - there is a Control class (private) method which allows you to replace a control with another one, but I believe it suffers from the same problems you mentioned with the manual replace.

What I would probably do about that is use KShif's property saver to transfer the properties (although I don't know if it would handle all kinds of objects) and replace the controls inside the arrays and clusters instead of the arrays and clusters themselves.

QUOTE(yen @ Sep 5 2007, 08:29 PM)

Can you post an example of completely transparent 3D Cluster (no borders and no shadow must be visible) here? Please. I don't think it's possible.

You could probably also do the programmatic replacing - there is a Control class (private) method which allows you to replace a control with another one, but I believe it suffers from the same problems you mentioned with the manual replace.

Sorry, I don't love/use private methods and properties.

What I would probably do about that is use KShif's property saver to transfer the properties (although I don't know if it would handle all kinds of objects) and replace the controls inside the arrays and clusters instead of the arrays and clusters themselves.

That is too difficult for this. I wish it would be implemented in LV, like:

rightklick on

Control->Control Style->Classic

->Modern

->System (optional, if possible)

Eugen

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Sep 5 2007, 09:57 PM)

Can you post an example of completely transparent 3D Cluster (no borders and no shadow must be visible) here? Please. I don't think it's possible.

Can you tell the difference between a completely transparent modern cluster and a completely transparent classic cluster? :blink:

Anyway, attached is a VI with a transparent modern cluster, created using the simple method I explained. There's also a modern numeric, just to make it more obvious, so that you'll believe me that it is possible.

That is too difficult for this. I wish it would be implemented in
LV
like, rightklick on

Control->Control Style->Classic

->Modern

->System (optional, if possible)

Sounds like a reasonable idea. Why not submit it to NI's product suggestion center?

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Sep 4 2007, 05:42 PM)

Yes, manually. I know I can use Control->Replace and then replace my modern object to a classic. But it doesn't work for clusters and arrays. Furthermore if I replace a object to any other, then the new loses properties, like formatting.

Even if this is solved for the simple task of making a transparent cluster, I'd still like to have a "change control style" option to change the style of controls on a front panel.

This would be very usefull for the cases when I want to use a VI from a 3D-style-project inside a system-style-project.

I'm not only thinking about complex clusters, even a simple numeric control contains lots of configuration data. If you are tweaking all the tabs in the properties dialog (which I usually do for real world user interface panels), you have to set all those properties again for the replacement control. This is a very time-consuming task compared to the simple wish "I want to change what the control looks like".