I just had to post this. -

I don't have the strip but my favorite Dilbert is still...

Frame 1

Dilbert walks into Radio Hut and is greated by a sales person who says "Hi, welcome to Radio Hut. I am half your age and know more about computers than you ever will, can I help you?"

Frame 2

Dilbert replies saying "Yes, I need a half dozen Niad pulse converters and an Anza-brush...."

Frame 3

Dilbert continues ".... or am I bluffing?"

Has any tried to buy a photo-diode or an SCR at Radio Shack lately?

Ben

QUOTE(neB @ Mar 6 2008, 09:34 AM)

I don't have the strip but my favorite Dilbert is still...

Frame 1

Dilbert walks into Radio Hut and is greated by a sales person who says "Hi, welcome to Radio Hut. I am half your age and know more about computers than you ever will, can I help you?"

Frame 2

Dilbert replies saying "Yes, I need a half dozen Niad pulse converters and an Anza-brush...."

Frame 3

Dilbert continues ".... or am I bluffing?"

Has any tried to buy a photo-diode or an SCR at Radio Shack lately?

Ben

I have a cousin who is a real computer nerd. He used to enjoy dressing up really scruffy, going to someplace like Best Buy, starting off asking very basic questions of the computer sales people, then asking them some really detailed technical question about system...

I didn't realize there was a Dilbert about him :P

QUOTE(Gary Rubin @ Mar 6 2008, 12:12 PM)

I have a cousin who is a real computer nerd. He used to enjoy dressing up really scruffy, going to someplace like Best Buy, starting off asking very basic questions of the computer sales people, then asking them some really detailed technical question about system...

I didn't realize there was a Dilbert about him :P

I have to confess that I have to fight the temptation to "tease the slaes people" or for that matter yell at the TV when I see an add saying that "I need a lot of memory if I want to save a bunch of of files."

The last time I had the Geek-Sqaud fix my laptop, I interupted them and said "I have been doing computers for 32 years. I am only paying you because I am lazy."

Re: the original strip posted by Michael.

My wife (former Senior Software Architect) loved it!

Thanks,

Ben

QUOTE(TobyD @ Mar 6 2008, 12:42 PM)

Thanks Toby!

Well at least I got the the "half dozen niad pulse converters and an anza brush" part right.

Now if I my memory would work as well when trying to solve the Schroedeger wave equation... I should have listened to my mother when she said "Benny, don't ever get old!"

Ben

QUOTE(neB @ Mar 6 2008, 07:53 PM)

Now if I my memory would work as well when trying to solve the Schroedeger wave equation...

Ben

send me a PM, i'll try to help you :D . But dont forget to mention the boundary conditions and the surface potential which defines the matrix :P

QUOTE(JDave @ Mar 6 2008, 01:09 PM)

Now I'm wondering if you know that much about Dilbert or if you are just google bluffing... :D

Is there a difference? I'm inclined to believe that the sum total of "knowledge" I've gained in the last 5 years consists entirely not of things I have learned, but rather things I have bookmarked after Googling them.

P.S. When I was first getting to know my wife, she told me that I'd score big points with her if I could guess why a particular series of concepts were important to her. So I typed them into Google. BAM! The answer was the first hit. "I'm feeling lucky," indeed. :P

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Mar 6 2008, 03:40 PM)

...P.S. When I was first getting to know my wife, she told me that I'd score big points with her if I could guess why a particular series of concepts were important to her. So I typed them into Google. BAM! The answer was the first hit. "I'm feeling lucky," indeed. :P

Seeing that we have drifted to mention of our better halfs.... I scored big with my wife when she found I had my own copy of the "Dungeon & Dragons, Dungeon Masters Guide".

BTW: I think I heard NPR report this AM that Gary Gygax (sp? inventor of D&D) was "promoted to to a higher level adventure"* yesterday.

He certainly left his mark on my family.

Ben

* passed away

QUOTE(JDave @ Mar 6 2008, 12:09 PM)

I had remembered reading this particular strip on the history page of the official Dilbert website, but I may have done some google bluffing for the original published date.

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Mar 6 2008, 12:40 PM)

Is there a difference? I'm inclined to believe that the sum total of "knowledge" I've gained in the last 5 years consists entirely not of
things I have learned
, but rather
things I have bookmarked after Googling them

P.S. When I was first getting to know my wife, she told me that I'd score big points with her if I could guess why a particular series of concepts were important to her. So I typed them into Google.
BAM!
The answer was the first hit. "I'm feeling lucky," indeed.
:P

I agree, just last night I sucessfuly diagnosed and repaired the EGR valve in a 1988 Buick that I'm still riding around in. I was convinced it was my transmission going out (I don't know a lot about cars) until I started googling my description of the sounds it was making. In the end it cost me less than $100 to do the work myself and I didn't get taken for a new transmission. She's purring like a kitten once again...

I don't know how I got by before the internet.

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Mar 6 2008, 03:40 PM)

QUOTE(neB @ Mar 6 2008, 04:02 PM)

Seeing that we have drifted to mention of our better halfs.... I scored big with my wife when she found I had my own copy of the "Dungeon & Dragons, Dungeon Masters Guide".

My wife is a trained Information Scientist (the science of how we perceive and oragnise data into information). She's also a trained psychiatrist...

(c'mon - I gave you all the hook - let's hear the punchline...)

QUOTE(crelf @ Mar 6 2008, 04:39 PM)

My wife is a trained Information Scientist (the science of how we perceive and oragnise data into information). She's also a trained psychiatrist...

(c'mon - I gave you all the hook - let's hear the punchline...)

Is she your wife, our are you her case study? :P